[4]

ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO MAKE BOXES ?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RIMSPOKE

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
FOR YEARS I HAVE BEEN MAKING & RE-PURPOSING MAHOGANY BOXES FOR MY UNBOXED TOOLS .

THE WOOD KEEPS THEM DRYER THAN A METAL OR PLASTIC BOX . IT's NICE WHEN THE MAKER
SUPPLIES A NICE WOOD BOX BUT OFTEN , NO SUCH BOX IS AVAILABLE .

HERE ARE A FEW OF THE ONES I HAVE COME UP WITH . I MADE THE ONE FOR THE MUTLI-ANVIL MIKE
35 YEARS AGO & THE TOOL STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW .

DSC_0143.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0144.JPG DSC_0145.JPG DSC_0146.JPG

tjb

Terry
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That's quality!

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Yes, I do also, both from scratch and repurposing; nice work!

conibear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Very nice

francist

Active User
Nice looking boxes. I've worked with a lot of exotics but have to say that mahogany is still one of my favourites. Simple, yet elegant. Individual trays are useful too just to stop stuff from rattling around.

-frank
image.jpeg

Rooster

Nice work, Wood is Good.

killswitch505

Beautiful

Ken from ontario

THEY LOOK GREAT.:wink:

B

British Steel

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Beautiful! Is that a radius-turning attachment (Hardinge?) in the last pic?

Dave H. (the other one)

ruralearl

Registered
Hi Rimspoke, Nice boxes, I like to make them also. Regards, earl IMG_1717.JPG

RWL

Active User
Registered
And if you have a laser cutter, you just enter the dimensions of the box here: http://www.makercase.com/ and it creates plans that you can put into the laser cutter. My son's at a local university where they have one so he cut out some lauan for me to make a case for a musical instrument for me.

NEL957

Active User
Registered
This is an odd subject for someone that works on metal. Most think of the brown stuff as a NO WAY. I have always like the idea of tools having their own space and to set them in their own tray when not there you go to looking. There are some very nice box makers here and all of you deserve a big hats off to ya.
Great work.
Nelson

bhigdog

Registered
Here's a few Gerstner type tool boxes I made. Hickory and quarter sawn oak. I've also used cherry both sap & heart wood mixed, curly cherry and curly maple. I give them away..............Bob

hickory 23 PICT0023.JPG gerstner4.JPG robbie gerstner.jpg

Attachments

bhigdog

Registered
Here's the curley maple and another shot of the hickory..................Bob PICT0017 (2).JPG PICT0022.JPG

Last edited:

RJSakowski

We had some custom pens made from locust wood for Christmas presents. I made the boxes from walnut. Pen Box .JPG

derf

Brass
Registered
I'd like to see more details on that hinging mechanism on that first box shown.

DHarris

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Bhigdog, if you "make them and then give them away" - - -- you are going to have A LOT of new "best friends" on this forum waiting in line!! o_O

bhigdog

Registered
Bhigdog, if you "make them and then give them away" - - -- you are going to have A LOT of new "best friends" on this forum waiting in line!! o_O
They usually go to family and one went to a precision machinest/toolmaker friend. The women use them for trinkets or jewelry. My son uses his for his fly tying stuff. Daughter for her arrow heads.
All but one I made from windfalls in my woods. Too nice for firewood so I have a guy with a band mill saw them for me then sticker the rough cut boards in my hot/dry loft for a few years.
Kind of neat when you can take a victim of Mother nature and instead of rot and ruin turn it into something of beauty.
That's why I give them away rather than sell them...........................Bob

RIMSPOKE

I'd like to see more details on that hinging mechanism on that first box shown.

THE INTERCHANGABLE ANVIL MIKE BOX STARTED OUT AS A SOLID BLOCK OF MAHOGANY .
THE PARTS WERE LAID OUT ON THE WOOD AND I TRACED AROUND THEM WITH A PENCIL .

THE EACH SPACE WAS CUT ON A MILLING MACHINE TO THE PROPER DEPTH .

THE DOORS WERE ADDED LATER . THERE ARE TWO HINGED SECTIONS TO EACH OPENING SECTION
THE LOWER ONE IS DOUBLE HINGED .

A SMALL STEEL BAR REGULATES EACH DOOR AS IT SWINGS THROUGH AN ARC .
WHEN OPEN , THE DOORS FOLD AGAINST THE SIDES . WHEN CLOSED , A SINGLE HASP ON TOP
KEEPS IT CLOSED .

I REPLIED TO YOUR QUESTION YESTERDAY BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED .

DSC_0607.JPG DSC_0608.JPG DSC_0609.JPG DSC_0610.JPG DSC_0611.JPG DSC_0612.JPG

bhigdog

Registered
Quite nice.................Bob

NEL957

Active User
Registered

bhigdog

Registered
Bob
I would more than proud to own one of you built beauty's. How much and how soon?
Nelson
Very kind of you Nelson but I only make one when the mood strikes me and every time I make one I swear it's my last. The last one I made is of quarter sawn white oak and I used a darker stain. I still have that one for myself. I kind of wish I held onto the hickory one..............Bob

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

They usually go to family and one went to a precision machinest/toolmaker friend. The women use them for trinkets or jewelry. My son uses his for his fly tying stuff. Daughter for her arrow heads.
All but one I made from windfalls in my woods. Too nice for firewood so I have a guy with a band mill saw them for me then sticker the rough cut boards in my hot/dry loft for a few years.
Kind of neat when you can take a victim of Mother nature and instead of rot and ruin turn it into something of beauty.
That's why I give them away rather than sell them...........................Bob
You had a fiddleback maple windfall?:eek:

WesPete66

Active User
Those are all very impressive boxes!
My project is a little on the other extreme & I'm a little reluctant to show it but what the heck.. I have a few bearing scrapers and hated just putting them in a drawer so I made a simple box for them. I like to hold them and think of the history they've seen..
DSC01184.JPG

francist

Active User
As you've discovered with your scrapers, things don't need to be complicated to generate fascination. Some day someone will look at your box and wonder what story was behind its making, who the person was who built it, what caused them to take the time. In many ways, that is the real beauty.

-frank

bhigdog

Registered
Stunning. In all seriousness, do you have plans?
No actual plans. Other than notes for the drawer runner spacing, done on my Bridgeport, I pretty much wing it. That allows me the flexibility of changing my mind or compensating for errors. Using a Bridgeport (with DRO) to cut most of the required grooves makes it fairly straight forward. The drawers are cut to fit in the chests snuggly then the edges are sanded by hand to give about a .015 gap all around the drawer. I use brass for the drawer pulls because I have the brass rod on hand.......................Bob

bhigdog

Registered
You had a fiddleback maple windfall?:eek:
I used to know a guy that graded hardwood lumber. When he would run across some curly or other figured wood he would set aside some for himself. I would buy some from him for $1.00 a board ft. Finally used some boards for the tool box. Still have most of the rest. It's a PITA to work with. Always tearing out....................Bob

[6]
[5] [7]