ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO MAKE BOXES ?

And if you have a laser cutter, you just enter the dimensions of the box here: http://www.makercase.com/ and it creates plans that you can put into the laser cutter. My son's at a local university where they have one so he cut out some lauan for me to make a case for a musical instrument for me.

This is an odd subject for someone that works on metal. Most think of the brown stuff as a NO WAY. I have always like the idea of tools having their own space and to set them in their own tray when not there you go to looking. There are some very nice box makers here and all of you deserve a big hats off to ya.
Great work.
Nelson

I'd like to see more details on that hinging mechanism on that first box shown.

Bhigdog, if you "make them and then give them away" - - -- you are going to have A LOT of new "best friends" on this forum waiting in line!! o_O

They usually go to family and one went to a precision machinest/toolmaker friend. The women use them for trinkets or jewelry. My son uses his for his fly tying stuff. Daughter for her arrow heads.
All but one I made from windfalls in my woods. Too nice for firewood so I have a guy with a band mill saw them for me then sticker the rough cut boards in my hot/dry loft for a few years.
Kind of neat when you can take a victim of Mother nature and instead of rot and ruin turn it into something of beauty.
That's why I give them away rather than sell them...........................Bob

I'd like to see more details on that hinging mechanism on that first box shown.

THE INTERCHANGABLE ANVIL MIKE BOX STARTED OUT AS A SOLID BLOCK OF MAHOGANY .
THE PARTS WERE LAID OUT ON THE WOOD AND I TRACED AROUND THEM WITH A PENCIL .

THE EACH SPACE WAS CUT ON A MILLING MACHINE TO THE PROPER DEPTH .

THE DOORS WERE ADDED LATER . THERE ARE TWO HINGED SECTIONS TO EACH OPENING SECTION
THE LOWER ONE IS DOUBLE HINGED .

A SMALL STEEL BAR REGULATES EACH DOOR AS IT SWINGS THROUGH AN ARC .
WHEN OPEN , THE DOORS FOLD AGAINST THE SIDES . WHEN CLOSED , A SINGLE HASP ON TOP
KEEPS IT CLOSED .

I REPLIED TO YOUR QUESTION YESTERDAY BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED .

DSC_0607.JPGDSC_0608.JPGDSC_0609.JPGDSC_0610.JPGDSC_0611.JPGDSC_0612.JPG

Back