ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO MAKE BOXES ?

Bob
I would more than proud to own one of you built beauty's. How much and how soon?
Nelson

Very kind of you Nelson but I only make one when the mood strikes me and every time I make one I swear it's my last. The last one I made is of quarter sawn white oak and I used a darker stain. I still have that one for myself. I kind of wish I held onto the hickory one..............Bob

They usually go to family and one went to a precision machinest/toolmaker friend. The women use them for trinkets or jewelry. My son uses his for his fly tying stuff. Daughter for her arrow heads.
All but one I made from windfalls in my woods. Too nice for firewood so I have a guy with a band mill saw them for me then sticker the rough cut boards in my hot/dry loft for a few years.
Kind of neat when you can take a victim of Mother nature and instead of rot and ruin turn it into something of beauty.
That's why I give them away rather than sell them...........................Bob
You had a fiddleback maple windfall?:eek:

Those are all very impressive boxes!
My project is a little on the other extreme & I'm a little reluctant to show it but what the heck.. I have a few bearing scrapers and hated just putting them in a drawer so I made a simple box for them. I like to hold them and think of the history they've seen..
DSC01184.JPG

As you've discovered with your scrapers, things don't need to be complicated to generate fascination. Some day someone will look at your box and wonder what story was behind its making, who the person was who built it, what caused them to take the time. In many ways, that is the real beauty.

-frank

Stunning. In all seriousness, do you have plans?

No actual plans. Other than notes for the drawer runner spacing, done on my Bridgeport, I pretty much wing it. That allows me the flexibility of changing my mind or compensating for errors. Using a Bridgeport (with DRO) to cut most of the required grooves makes it fairly straight forward. The drawers are cut to fit in the chests snuggly then the edges are sanded by hand to give about a .015 gap all around the drawer. I use brass for the drawer pulls because I have the brass rod on hand.......................Bob

You had a fiddleback maple windfall?:eek:

I used to know a guy that graded hardwood lumber. When he would run across some curly or other figured wood he would set aside some for himself. I would buy some from him for $1.00 a board ft. Finally used some boards for the tool box. Still have most of the rest. It's a PITA to work with. Always tearing out....................Bob

Back