Anyone ever seen one of these?

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Was looking in a September1951, 70 year old Popular Mechanics magazine, and saw this piece of of equipment. I could sure use one of these to hand wind spring. For projects. Let me know who made it, and for what lathes. It has a cast number SB- XX can’t make out the numbers. Maybe South Bend.
CH

Attachments

• 8FAB9329-61F1-4ECC-9B52-C7B65A1129D3.jpeg
    8FAB9329-61F1-4ECC-9B52-C7B65A1129D3.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 57
Was looking in a September1951, 70 year old Popular Mechanics magazine, and saw this piece of of equipment. I could sure use one of these to hand wind spring. For projects. Let me know who made it, and for what lathes. It has a cast number SB- XX can’t make out the numbers. Maybe South Bend.
CH
It was made by the Allen Mfg. Co., 22-76 Steinway St, Long Island City , NY (page 16 of that issue has a where to buy it for products showcased in the issue) A Google search didn't turn up any information on the company though.

You could lose yourself for years in the online version. Lots of cool stuff back when people used to do things for themselves.

I used to read them as a kid too. Also Mechanics Illustrated, Popular Science, and Boy's Life.

You could lose yourself for years in the online version. Lots of cool stuff back when people used to do things for themselves.

I used to read them as a kid too. Also Mechanics Illustrated, Popular Science, and Boy's Life.
Yep yep, these periodicals are what inspired me to become an Engineer.
CH

I remember reading one back in the 70's. Was a good discussuin on the invention of cell phones. With all the cells that were needed, it sounded like an idea that would never take hold outside of the cities. Boy was I wrong.

Much appreciated, I did not realize that past magazines were available. Thanks, Sailer

Back