Anyone have a HR-150A hardness tester?

Jim F

Registered
Registered
I have everything except the tester its self.

I have an HR-150A and everything else that came with it. Not sure of what exactly you need though.

I have an HR-150A and everything else that came with it. Not sure of what exactly you need though.
I just have parts, not the actuall machine.
I have the wooden box of plates and such and 4 cylinder type things, and some ball bearings.
Next time I am up there, I will check if the tester is there hidden away somewhere.

Last edited:
Ranges are: Rockwell B scale = 25-100 HRB with 1.588mm steel ball. C scale = 20-70 HRC with 120 degree diamond. A scale = 20-88 HRA with 120 degree diamond. A scale measures metal with a hardness over HRC 70 as well as hard sheet materials and surface quenched materials. C scale measures hardness of heat treated steel parts. B scale is used for measuring softer or middle hard metals and unquenched steel parts. All this from the HR-150A operating instructions. Machine originally came with large, small, and v- notch anvils; diamond penetrator, steel ball penetrator (and 5 spare balls), as well as 5 standard test blocks and misc. other parts. Looks just what benmychree posted.

Ranges are: Rockwell B scale = 25-100 HRB with 1.588mm steel ball. C scale = 20-70 HRC with 120 degree diamond. A scale = 20-88 HRA with 120 degree diamond. A scale measures metal with a hardness over HRC 70 as well as hard sheet materials and surface quenched materials. C scale measures hardness of heat treated steel parts. B scale is used for measuring softer or middle hard metals and unquenched steel parts. All this from the HR-150A operating instructions. Machine originally came with large, small, and v- notch anvils; diamond penetrator, steel ball penetrator (and 5 spare balls), as well as 5 standard test blocks and misc. other parts. Looks just what benmychree posted.
Here in the good old USA, 1.588mm is 1/16". Interesting that in the ads, the manufacturer is identified as "generic". Almost certainly Chineric ---

Here in the good old USA, 1.588mm is 1/16". Interesting that in the ads, the manufacturer is identified as "generic". Almost certainly Chineric ---
This looks like a modern Chinese copy of the Rockwell hardness tester we used in school to measure hardness. As I recall the ball or diamond is used as diecutter said, and the size of the indentation indicates the hardness. The one we used from Rockwell directly read the hardness based on the z penetration of the ball or diamond and the force it took to make the indentation. Other standards (Vickers, Brinell, etc.) use similar approaches.

It's a lot cheaper to use the "calibrated" files, but if you've got the real deal it's pretty nice to have!

This looks like a modern Chinese copy of the Rockwell hardness tester we used in school to measure hardness. As I recall the ball or diamond is used as diecutter said, and the size of the indentation indicates the hardness. The one we used from Rockwell directly read the hardness based on the z penetration of the ball or diamond and the force it took to make the indentation. Other standards (Vickers, Brinell, etc.) use similar approaches.

It's a lot cheaper to use the "calibrated" files, but if you've got the real deal it's pretty nice to have!
Functionally it is a copy of the Rockwell Hardness Tester, but not a physical copy, the Rockwell testers are much more substantial, an easy 100 lbs., even without the weights. I have seen the term for the indenter described as a pyramid, it is actually a cone.

Back