Anyone have a picture of Clausing 100/4800 with follow rest?

WEL0058

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a need to turn some small diameter 1/2” rod. I can see the possible need may be for a follow rest. Have never seen one attached to the 100 lathe before.

Bob G.

Yess, that sounds like a wise plan. I don't have a photo of one mounted on a lathe. But if you go to Clausing in Downloads, there is a PDF of the 1953 4800 Accessories catalog and on page #4 (I think) a side view photo of the steady rest for that machine.

I have one, I will put it on the carraige and take a picture in a little bit. If you need one, I would be happy to lend you mine.

I just sort of through it on and did nothing to align things, but here are two pictures.

20220121_221903.jpg20220121_221800.jpg

Sorry for the slow response. It has been a busy week.

Thank you so much for the photos. Never saw the follower mounted on Clausing 100/4800 lathe before. My 100 saddle does not have the tapped in front of the cross slide - it has two threaded holes behind the cross slide. Looks like this follower can be mount in front or behind.

Would be great to borrow your follower. I need to make a new cross slide screw since mine is bent in two locations and has about .080" TIR.
I would also like to trace yours out and measured it so not 'have to reinvent the wheel'.

Bob G.

WEL0058,
I just bought the same follower rest that you have on your 4800 Clausing. Mine is missing the support that bolts on to the follower rest. the one that is L shaped, with the 45' slot. I have a picture of a 4800 follower resr from one of the accessory sheets. bout is has adjustments at 12 and 3 o'clock. So if you are able to [please give me the demensions, I can make the part. Also any information on how to use this style of follower rest. It is different than the one I had on my Atlas.

Best,

WEL0058,
I just bought the same follower rest that you have on your 4800 Clausing. Mine is missing the support that bolts on to the follower rest. the one that is L shaped, with the 45' slot. I have a picture of a 4800 follower resr from one of the accessory sheets. bout is has adjustments at 12 and 3 o'clock. So if you are able to [please give me the demensions, I can make the part. Also any information on how to use this style of follower rest. It is different than the one I had on my Atlas.

Best,
Welcome aboard Parker,

I never found a follow rest for my Clausing lathe. Order a new cross slide screw from Clausing. It was a 4 week wait. They still do limited production runs for normal wear parts. If the part is not stocked and no longer available, you can get a part drawing from Clausing.

Bob G.

I just sort of through it on and did nothing to align things, but here are two pictures.

View attachment 393228View attachment 393230
Magu,

Best,

Bill M

Welcome aboard Parker,

I never found a follow rest for my Clausing lathe. Order a new cross slide screw from Clausing. It was a 4 week wait. They still do limited production runs for normal wear parts. If the part is not stocked and no longer available, you can get a part drawing from Clausing.

Bob G.
Bob G,
I had my 4800 for just under 20 years and just finely found one, it was with a whole 4800 that a shop in NY had on ebay. I asked if he would sell just the rest and he got right back and said yes. I had to jump on it.
Thanks for getting back to me,

Best,
Bill Mc

Back