Anyone have a PM-835S?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
What are the pros and cons of this machine? I don't see any videos of it on Youtube and I haven't seen it mentioned much here. I have a PM-25MV now, and looking to upgrade in the future. I was looking at the 949, but price, and the size as well as the logistics of moving it to my home turns me off. At least with the PM-835S, liftgate service is available. They can move it into my garage.

From what I udnerstand, it's a 3/4" Bridgeport clone? How much less ridgid is it compared to the full size ones?

What are the pros and cons of this machine? I don't see any videos of it on Youtube and I haven't seen it mentioned much here. I have a PM-25MV now, and looking to upgrade in the future. I was looking at the 949, but price, and the size as well as the logistics of moving it to my home turns me off. At least with the PM-835S, liftgate service is available. They can move it into my garage.

From what I udnerstand, it's a 3/4" Bridgeport clone? How much less ridgid is it compared to the full size ones?

My 935TS is larger than the 835, and it is referred to as a 'baby bridgeport'. At ~1500 lbs. my 935 is at least 1000 lbs. lighter than a Bridgeport. And that 835S is even smaller. My 935TS was delivered on a liftgate, and PM said that this was the largest mill that could be delivered with liftgate service.

I had a PM25 also, and IMO there is no comparison between that and my 935. It's not a large mill, nor can it be abused like one, but it is an order of magnatude or more better than my old PM25 and does what I need it to do. YMMV of course. :)

I have a PM935. If you are looking to buy once get the 949. There is a huge difference.

There is a member here who will soon tell you how bad a 935 is, yet just about everyone else seems happy with theirs, including me. Different strokes for different folks. I realize that your thread isn't specifically about the 935, but since you're getting nearer to its price and weight class, it's somewhat related.

Last edited:
There is a member here who will soon tell you how bad a 935 is, yet just about everyone else seems happy with theirs, including me. Different strokes for different folks. I realize that your thread isn't specifically about the 935, but since what you're getting nearer to its price and weight class, it's somewhat related.
I've had a PM-835S since 2017. I am delighted with it. It has a Taiwanese top end and a Chinese bottom end. I can't say I have seen any serious problems with either. The top end is really a 935 top end mated to the lower cost bottom end.

All of the features of the 935 top end are available and though I bought the single-phase step pulley version I replaced the motor with a 3-phase from PM and a VFD. The result is superb and I believe it is cheaper, more reliable and flexible than a variable speed version. I really like the electronic fast stop and I have rigged up an auto reverse so that you don't have to reverse the motor when you use back gear.

It came with the full DRO and I bought 3-axis of power feed from PM and fitted them myself. I fitted a Kurt 6" vise and have yet to find anything I cannot do with it that I could do on a Bridgeport.

What specific questions do you have about the PM-835S?

I got an 835S two months ago, and I am happy with it. I have used it for drilling, running the boring head, milling key ways in shafts, squaring up stock and other milling tasks. It has been rigid enough for everything I have thrown at it which is mostly repairing parts for antique tractors and similar tasks. I'm NOT an experienced machinist, but have been in the heavy equipment repair and welding industry since the early 90's, so I really cant compare it to other machines personally. I have had tons of things machined for me over the years and seen a lot of it done, but doing it yourself is a whole other story.

I mainly wanted to know what I'll be sacrificing if I opted for the 835s and not the 949. Especially features and especially ridgidity when working with harder steel and using larger endmills

From what I understand the only difference with the 835 and 945 is that the 835 has a chinese made lower body? That doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

I mainly wanted to know what I'll be sacrificing if I opted for the 835s and not the 949. Especially features and especially ridgidity when working with harder steel and using larger endmills

From what I understand the only difference with the 835 and 945 is that the 835 has a chinese made lower body? That doesn't seem to be such a big deal.
Not having owned anything but the 835S I don't know, but I would guess the quality of fit and finish and of the cast iron may be better. I doubt if a home user would notice. I certainly haven't experienced any problems with fit, finish and accuracy of the knee, nor any problem with rigidity.

Might be a good idea to talk with PM and find out what they claim is superior.

The Taiwan made lower body does have some advantages. With the PM935 you get Meehanite castings and Turcite B way material. The Turcite ways should outlast the cast iron ways. You get a one shot oiler with the 935 and a 5 year warranty. Again, depending on what you are going to do with the machine these items might not be worth the extra money. For me they were the reason I bought the PM 935.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L

The Taiwan made lower body does have some advantages. With the PM935 you get Meehanite castings and Turcite B way material. The Turcite ways should outlast the cast iron ways. You get a one shot oiler with the 935 and a 5 year warranty. Again, depending on what you are going to do with the machine these items might not be worth the extra money. For me they were the reason I bought the PM 935.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L

To me, the things you mention make all the difference. But for those who don't understand/don't care, buy the chinese mill and enjoy it.

Back