Anyone have a PM-835S?

Just regular mild steel? Have you worked on high carbon or stainless with your mill yet?
I have used mills up to 3/4 on drill rod.
I have used larger roughing mills on mild steel and a 4" face mill on mild steel. Never had a problem. The 3-phase motor I added and the VFD helps..

Just regular mild steel? Have you worked on high carbon or stainless with your mill yet?

It was mild steel, but cutting something harder would be as easy as breathing. Just have to use the right feeds and speeds and the right cutter. My mill seems to be very rigid compared to what I'm used to. It's more the Indian than the arrow.

I have a PM-25MV and my mill struggles with hardened steel.

Basically stainless steel. A week ago, I was trying to take off .020 off a piece of 5/16" stainless flat bar using a 3/8" carbide 4 flute endmill with coolant and the steel became gummy, the mill was shaking hard.

Basically stainless steel. A week ago, I was trying to take off .020 off a piece of 5/16" stainless flat bar using a 3/8" carbide 4 flute endmill with coolant and the steel became gummy, the mill was shaking hard.

The endmill stopped cutting and started work hardening the steel. Rubbing will destroy your cutter very quickly.

I've cut stainless on my mill drill with no issues and my 835 is massively more rigid.

Looks like you needed around 1000 rpm and 7 inches per minute for a 0.0018" chip load on a 4 flute cutter. What were you running?

I had it around 750 rpm and was feeding it slowly. I could never figure out how to measure feed rate

Back