Anyone Have A Trav-a-dial On Their Rockwell?

100LL

Registered
Registered
i can find an swi travadial but would have to figure out mounting provisions to the right side of the carriage.

Any advice for the 11x36 RD

Is mounting and calibration a high degree of difficulty?

I have one on my Traytop and had one on a Logan 820. Making the adapter is straight forward. Calibrating the unit requires tilting it fore and aft so build room into the mount for that. I have a manual in PDF form if you don't have it already. Here's pics of the Logan, I can get pics from the traytop in a bit if it'll help.

trav2.jpg Trav1.jpg

I could use a copy of the manual, if you don't mind. I have a Trav-A-Dial just sitting and I should put it on some machine or other. I like having documents on my equipment.

If anyone has one to sell I would buy. I'm looking around forums and eBay. They are out there, not cheap usually. I don't mind paying market for one that woks well and has the mounting provisions.

I'm sure I'll have to fab a bracket, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks for the photos. Helpful see that.

Traytop:

DSCF7395.JPG DSCF7397.JPG DSCF7400.JPG DSCF7401.JPG

Attachments

• Trav-a-Dial-Series6Manual.pdf
    842.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Trav-a-DialSeries7-8Manual.pdf
    576 KB · Views: 15
If I can remember to look for it I'll check to see if I have a spare. I prefer the trav-a-dial over a dro for daily work as the rotating needle is easier for me to watch to stop a feed than trying to follow flickering digits on a DRO.

Thanks for the manual. I have the older series 6. Think I will put it on my Zayer #3 mill.

I see a problem, with this idea. The rockwells have a rough milled surface, on the area, that the roller runs on. Do how accurate do you need to be?

Per advice from a helpful hand here on HM, before he installed he smoothed it up using India stones. I'm doing the same...little by little. Takes a long time doing it by hand. I'm too scared to employ a power tool

Ideally they should run on a machined surface true to the axis of travel. I would have doubts on the accuracy or life if run on a cast surface, for example. I have only seen them used on tables and ways that were precision surfaces themselves.

Back