Anyone Have Access to a Laser or Water Jet?

Was by SendCutSend the other day, here is their business card and/or cut out on the side for measuring material thickness, pretty cool!
IMG_1361.JPG

I don't work for them, just a neighbor. You would have to ask.

If I'm not mistaken I believe a laser can cut pretty much anything. I used to work for a manufacturing facility had a laser and they cut 3/4" plywood once. It took longer to pierce through than sheet metal and it made a lot of smoke but after the beam was through it cut pretty quick and clean. 1/4" plastic shouldn't be a problem for most laser machines.

SendCutSend has a provision for cutting customer supplied materials, but you have to call them to discuss it.

Thanks for sharing this! I will try them. Hey, what is the crazy square tube thingy welded at right angles?
Robert

Too bad they don't handle plywood. I've been searching for a laser place willing to cut parts for my wooden gear clock. Minimum prices so far have averaged around $550, too much for me. The problem with plywood is how it splinters. Even a CNC router makes a mess, and with hundreds of woode gear teeth to sand and clean up, it's too much work.

Too bad they don't handle plywood. I've been searching for a laser place willing to cut parts for my wooden gear clock. Minimum prices so far have averaged around $550, too much for me. The problem with plywood is how it splinters. Even a CNC router makes a mess, and with hundreds of woode gear teeth to sand and clean up, it's too much work.

Hey man, try Etsy.com for that project. There's companies all over Etsy that will cut craft type materials like acrylic sheet, plywood, MDF, card stock, etc. I got a quote for some 1/8" acrylic cutting once from one of the companies on Etsy. It was a small part about 4 square inches and they wanted something like $20 for the first one and a little less for each additional part. Or something like that anyway.

Got to Etsy.com and search "Laser cut service" A bunch of companies/users pop up.

Thanks for sharing this! I will try them. Hey, what is the crazy square tube thingy welded at right angles?
Robert

That's me trying to replicate this thing...

img_0066_-_bandsaw_not_included.jpg

img_0068.jpg

I recently bought a small bench top horizontal band saw from HE&M. It has the provision to use it as a small vertical saw with the purchase of an additional accessory. The accessory clamps into the saw's vise and has an aluminum plate for a table.

I didn't want to pay $140 for that but I liked the idea of being able to make small free hand cuts on a vertical saw, so I set out on making my own. Got an aluminum plate form eBay, 16" x 16" x 1/4" for around $40 and the tube is a leftover from some job we did at work years ago.

So far I'm in the black! But it's not done yet...

I built an entire car from scratch, using a Harbor Freight 4 x 6 band saw for much of the cutting. I found that by the end of the project, I had used it in the upright position about 98% of the time, so much so that after it had worn out, I bought a "real" band saw and don't regret it.

Right on. I thought it would be nice for cutting plates and such that you can’t clamp in the vise.

by the way @kb58, did you see the previous post about Etsy for your clock project? It might be worth a look.

Back