Anyone have experience with the original SB woodturning steadyrest?

jbmauser

Registered
Registered
My old 9X42 C Lathe came with tooling. It came with a 10 in. steady rest that fits into a disk that fits into the compound's seat in the cross slide. It sits at the proper center line of the work but there is no way to lock it in place. The top of the mount in the cross slide is threaded but there is no grasping or locking to keep the steadyrest from spinning around. I can't figure it out.

Got any pics of the set up ?, if it came with the lathe I would think there should be a locking arrangement.

Like I said the top of the cross slide holder is threaded but I have no idea to accept what and then how would it grasp the steady rest post? I can get pics tomorrow but I would be great to find some old SB advertising etc.

Sorry, make one or two that works ? :frog:
Where u at ?

Last edited:
Checked my copy of SB How to Run a Lathe -- not much help. It did have one photo but of course the operator's hand was right where I wanted to see. SB catalogue in our downloads section here didn't yield much, but I only looked at one.
So I did a Google image search and came up with this posted on another very popular forum. Looks like a collar and set screw arrangement, but as to the exact workings not sure. It's not complicated though, just by looking at it.

image.png

For future reference, you may want to use "tool rest" or "hand rest" in your searches. Southbend uses hand rest as the term, although most wood turners would call it a tool rest. Either way, "steady rest" is an entirely different animal.

Good luck!

-frank

from the 1954 Accessories Catalog #5418 @VintageMachinery.org --- Can't make it out from the picture how it tightens up though...
Earlier versions of the catalog show a different style... The 1973 Edition doesn't have any in it....

1517975259281.png

Checked my copy of SB How to Run a Lathe -- not much help. It did have one photo but of course the operator's hand was right where I wanted to see. SB catalogue in our downloads section here didn't yield much, but I only looked at one.
So I did a Google image search and came up with this posted on another very popular forum. Looks like a collar and set screw arrangement, but as to the exact workings not sure. It's not complicated though, just by looking at it.

View attachment 257095

For future reference, you may want to use "tool rest" or "hand rest" in your searches. Southbend uses hand rest as the term, although most wood turners would call it a tool rest. Either way, "steady rest" is an entirely different animal.

Good luck!

-frank

That looks like it will replace the compound slide, and bolt into the cross slide for a modern 9/10k.

I expect so, although I'm not real familiar with the intricacies of the SB carriage assembly. It's the same pattern as the copy middle.road supplied which is coincidentally the exact same photo as was in my How to Run a Lathe, complete with the operator's hand in front of the connecting point :rolleyes:

-frank

Back