Anyone have one of these? PM 1440 GT

Gasmith,

PM sells good quality gear for home users. Their customer support is really terrific too.

PM sells nice chucks from a Taiwanese company called Auto Strong. They can even upgrade those, tho I can't see the point as they are very nice.

If the 1440 you are looking at is Taiwanese, I would say go for it. If not I would go with the pm1340gt which is made in Taiwan. I bought one of those about a year ago just to add to my shop. I could go on and on about it. It's a terrific value for the money spent. Moreover it offers a 5 year warranty. I don't know anyone who does that.

The best advice I can give you is think very carefully about what you need the kind of work you are going to do. Then spec exactly what you would like to have and contact Matt at PM and see what kind of deal he can make for you.

As for comparisons I would think the Standard Modern might be a step of head of the PM but I don't have a Standard Modern so I can't really say.

I would definitely prefer the p.m. to a new South Bend but that's just personal on my part.

Do you take advantage of the wealth of information that Matt has and he is happy to share the same with you on the telephone. He's a very nice guy. Best of luck in your search for the right machine.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Gasmith,

PM sells good quality gear for home users. Their customer support is really terrific too.

PM sells nice chucks from a Taiwanese company called Auto Strong. They can even upgrade those, tho I can't see the point as they are very nice.

If the 1440 you are looking at is Taiwanese, I would say go for it. If not I would go with the pm1340gt which is made in Taiwan. I bought one of those about a year ago just to add to my shop. I could go on and on about it. It's a terrific value for the money spent. Moreover it offers a 5 year warranty. I don't know anyone who does that.

The best advice I can give you is think very carefully about what you need the kind of work you are going to do. Then spec exactly what you would like to have and contact Matt at PM and see what kind of deal he can make for you.

As for comparisons I would think the Standard Modern might be a step of head of the PM but I don't have a Standard Modern so I can't really say.

I would definitely prefer the p.m. to a new South Bend but that's just personal on my part.

Do you take advantage of the wealth of information that Matt has and he is happy to share the same with you on the telephone. He's a very nice guy. Best of luck in your search for the right machine.

Squire

Thanks. I am heavily eyeing the PM1440GT and the 1440HD

Thanks. I am heavily eyeing the PM1440GT and the 1440HD
Gasmith,

I took a look at the 1440 GT. Man, that's a nice machine. I would pop for that one over the HD.

I'm a retired gunsmith. Worked in a big urban shop for many moons. I've got a growing hone shop full of serious tools. I have to say I enjoy the 1340GT as much as anything I own or have worked on in the past. Now a Taiwanese 1440? I'd buy that in a minute along with that 4 Jaw at $399. They are excellent chucks.

Cheers

Squire

Gasmith,

I took a look at the 1440 GT. Man, that's a nice machine. I would pop for that one over the HD.

I'm a retired gunsmith. Worked in a big urban shop for many moons. I've got a growing hone shop full of serious tools. I have to say I enjoy the 1340GT as much as anything I own or have worked on in the past. Now a Taiwanese 1440? I'd buy that in a minute along with that 4 Jaw at $399. They are excellent chucks.

Cheers

Squire

Its definitely what Im leaning towards. However, the HD interests me simply because I want to know whats been made heavier.

I will jump on the bandwagon regarding PM, their machines and their support. I've owned three of their machines, still own two (1340GT lathe and 935TS mill), and Matt has always been there to help with any question or problem I have had.

I will jump on the bandwagon regarding PM, their machines and their support. I've owned three of their machines, still own two (1340GT lathe and 935TS mill), and Matt has always been there to help with any question or problem I have had.
Dude...... You have the mill too? How does it stack up to say a reconditioned Bridgeport? Im eyeballing those too.

Dude...... You have the mill too? How does it stack up to say a reconditioned Bridgeport? Im eyeballing those too.

I have no experience with a BP, sorry. My mentor, a pistolsmith, had a 9x50 Comet mill and a Japanese 16x40 lathe that even HE said was gross overkill for what he did. But he got a good price on the pair and that was that.

I'm strictly a hobbyist, although I do build my own competition guns, and occasionally do stuff for others if I can legally. I started with a Sherline lathe and mill to build my first Steel Challenge pistol and have worked my way up through various bench mills and lathes until I got these babies. :)

They both are 3ph with VFD conversions, are very accurate, and do everything I need.

Hardest I have pushed the 935 was one time I needed to take a bunch of material off a piece of 7075 T6 to make a fixture. Put my Glacern 3" face mill in the spindle and took several full-width passes @.3" DOC and the mill didn't even breathe hard. I on the other hand, was dodging hot chips the size of my thumbnails as they came flying off the cutter. I didn't hear the spindle motor even change pitch.

Not bad for a Taiwan made baby BP. :)

I have no experience with a BP, sorry. My mentor, a pistolsmith, had a 9x50 Comet mill and a Japanese 16x40 lathe that even HE said was gross overkill for what he did. But he got a good price on the pair and that was that.

I'm strictly a hobbyist, although I do build my own competition guns, and occasionally do stuff for others if I can legally. I started with a Sherline lathe and mill to build my first Steel Challenge pistol and have worked my way up through various bench mills and lathes until I got these babies. :)

They both are 3ph with VFD conversions, are very accurate, and do everything I need.

Hardest I have pushed the 935 was one time I needed to take a bunch of material off a piece of 7075 T6 to make a fixture. Put my Glacern 3" face mill in the spindle and took several full-width passes @.3" DOC and the mill didn't even breathe hard. I on the other hand, was dodging hot chips the size of my thumbnails as they came flying off the cutter. I didn't hear the spindle motor even change pitch.

Not bad for a Taiwan made baby BP. :)
This is all good to hear considering everything else I hear about Precision Matthews.

You could do a lot worse than dealing with Matt at PM. :)

And good luck on your business venture.

Back