[4]

Anyone have this ER-32 collet adapter?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
No and no , but I would think you could find a er 40 collet chuck collets and backing plate that is less expensive with specs on runout

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Not familiar with the vendor, but the price doesn't seem too out of line of it is a quality chuck and collets.

My Beall ER32 collet chuck was $160 with 5 collets, add another $38 for two additional collets and it would be almost $200. There is a little more going on with that one due to the backing plate mount.

pacifica

RGL
These are specs I would look for: set-tru type adjustment, at least er40 size, through hole at least 1".
To register the backing plate within 2 or 3 ten-thousandths may not be that easy.
I also would be looking for a runout claim of .0002 or less.
I am not sure ebay vendors care or understand that you need that amount of precision.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I haven't used that particular collet adaptor but I've bought several things from Joel, both original Atlas (like a 12" Tailstock Turret) and that he made (like a vertical head for the Atlas mill. I've found him to be reliable and a good machinist.

I won't comment on the price but I think that some of you are being unreasonable and/or too picky about the whole subject. He lives in the USA, not China. The only reason for using the more expensive ER-40 collets and having a 1" through hole in the chuck would be if you needed to machine a lot of short parts larger than 3/4" diameter. I don't know of any lathe with a 1-1/2"-8 spindle nose that will take more than 3/4" through the spindle. Anything larger than that would make for a fragile spindle.

He obviously can't honestly quote any runout specs because he has no control over the precision machining abilities or lack thereof of a buyer. If the buyer totally botched that job and didn't come close to the quoted specs and wanted to make the seller eat it, eBay today would gladly let him. I haven't encountered an eBay employee since about 2008 smart enough to be capable of understanding why that would be obviously unfair.

francist

Active User
I've purchased a few things from Joel in the past and have not been disappointed. He's always been a pretty straight up guy to me. My ER25 collet chuck is one I bought from his store (MyMachineShop) and it works for what I do. I don't think he offers it any more though, it was one that threaded directly onto my 1-10 spindle. As for the particular one being referenced above, I can't speak to it.

-frank

tomw

Thank you all for your replies. I think I might try it. If I do, I will post some thoughts.

DiscoDan

Tomw, did you buy it and use it yet?

tomw

Not yet. I'm dealing with a sick pops-in-law, so no shop time for a few more weeks.

DiscoDan

Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

tomw

Thanks.

welderr

Not familiar with the vendor, but the price doesn't seem too out of line of it is a quality chuck and collets.

My Beall ER32 collet chuck was $160 with 5 collets, add another $38 for two additional collets and it would be almost $200. There is a little more going on with that one due to the backing plate mount.
Aaron are you happy with your Beall collet chuck I have been thinking about that for a while , but I also just got a big chunk of stock to turn one out of If I get caught up around here

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
On my list of projects is to make my own ER32 collet chuck with a 1-1/2 x 8 thread to fit on my lathe's spindle. I have a nice slug of 12L14 just waiting to be turned into something useful.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
The Beall tools are designed for woodworkers/turners, hence the collets have threads for the common wood lathes.

I have a Beall 1 1/4in x 8 tpi tap which I purchased to make wooden chucks. Good quality tap. At the time I did not have a metal lathe. I have used the tap to clean up metal chucks which were single pointed on the metal lathe.

Aaron_W

Aaron are you happy with your Beall collet chuck I have been thinking about that for a while , but I also just got a big chunk of stock to turn one out of If I get caught up around here
Yes, it has worked well for me. I've mostly used it for holding endmills on my Sherline mill. I don't have experience with any other brand to make a comparison with, but I have no complaints with it. It was specifically recommended to me by Mikey so he may be able to comment on why he prefers the Beall vs a generic ER32 chuck.

Dave is correct, it is marketed towards woodworkers, but the chuck is available with a variety of thread options, including one threaded for Sherline machines by name, so they must know there is interest beyond woodworking.

tomw

Another ER collet option for the Atlas lathe is from Tall Grass Tools. $160 for a fully machined holder, no collets included. Anybody use one of these?

[6]
[5] [7]