Anyone have this ER-32 collet adapter?

No and no , but I would think you could find a er 40 collet chuck collets and backing plate that is less expensive with specs on runout

Not familiar with the vendor, but the price doesn't seem too out of line of it is a quality chuck and collets.

My Beall ER32 collet chuck was $160 with 5 collets, add another $38 for two additional collets and it would be almost $200. There is a little more going on with that one due to the backing plate mount.

These are specs I would look for: set-tru type adjustment, at least er40 size, through hole at least 1".
To register the backing plate within 2 or 3 ten-thousandths may not be that easy.
I also would be looking for a runout claim of .0002 or less.
I am not sure ebay vendors care or understand that you need that amount of precision.

I haven't used that particular collet adaptor but I've bought several things from Joel, both original Atlas (like a 12" Tailstock Turret) and that he made (like a vertical head for the Atlas mill. I've found him to be reliable and a good machinist.

I won't comment on the price but I think that some of you are being unreasonable and/or too picky about the whole subject. He lives in the USA, not China. The only reason for using the more expensive ER-40 collets and having a 1" through hole in the chuck would be if you needed to machine a lot of short parts larger than 3/4" diameter. I don't know of any lathe with a 1-1/2"-8 spindle nose that will take more than 3/4" through the spindle. Anything larger than that would make for a fragile spindle.

He obviously can't honestly quote any runout specs because he has no control over the precision machining abilities or lack thereof of a buyer. If the buyer totally botched that job and didn't come close to the quoted specs and wanted to make the seller eat it, eBay today would gladly let him. I haven't encountered an eBay employee since about 2008 smart enough to be capable of understanding why that would be obviously unfair.

I've purchased a few things from Joel in the past and have not been disappointed. He's always been a pretty straight up guy to me. My ER25 collet chuck is one I bought from his store (MyMachineShop) and it works for what I do. I don't think he offers it any more though, it was one that threaded directly onto my 1-10 spindle. As for the particular one being referenced above, I can't speak to it.

-frank

Thank you all for your replies. I think I might try it. If I do, I will post some thoughts.

Tomw, did you buy it and use it yet?

Not yet. I'm dealing with a sick pops-in-law, so no shop time for a few more weeks.

Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Back