Anyone here building AK 47

I sure would like to build one. And a Galil. And a HK53. And a FAL. And, and, and..!

What kit, receiver, and fixture did you go with? Good/bad experiences?

Flats from AK builders. Kits I go whit what ever looks good. I bought all my tools that I have used from AK builders. I have bought some other tools from other people but have not used them. Will let you know. I have found a alignment tool for populating the barrel thats looks great if it works. I will order one. Very hard to get kits right now.

I'd sure like to at some point. Have you looked at uzi kits? Everything looks fairly inexpensive and not to big of an issue until you get to the part where it has to be closed bolt semi auto only. that seems to be the downside of the uzi kits. I've been looking into them off and on for a while along with AK kits. I'll definitely get to an AK sooner or later.

Haven't done an AK in many years now.....last one I did was an oddity for me......and a brute to shoot. Kind of a knock off AK / FMK in 54R

IMGP0087.JPG

Haven't looked at that since kits were 89.99. Receivers build from flats. Got to harden and weld the rails and holes. Easy enough to made a spacer to bbl the receiver so you wouldn't have to buy one

I have been wanting to do either an AK or AR (or both) starting from billet. I do believe the drawings are pretty easy to get. I want to make as many of the parts as possible within the capabilities of my shop. This would leave a lot open to making it my own and like no other. That should keep me busy for a while

Haven't done an AK in many years now.....last one I did was an oddity for me......and a brute to shoot. Kind of a knock off AK / FMK in 54R

That 54R detail isn't lost on me. That's a cool build, what components did you use?

I can not find any kits that the sell will ship right now. Most of the kits or out of stock.. Just got my front sight pined on today.

I'd sure like to at some point. Have you looked at uzi kits? Everything looks fairly inexpensive and not to big of an issue until you get to the part where it has to be closed bolt semi auto only. that seems to be the downside of the uzi kits. I've been looking into them off and on for a while along with AK kits. I'll definitely get to an AK sooner or later.

That's the hassle with most open bolt SMG kits. The bolt conversions range from mildly difficult to PITA. If it weren't for the closed bolt rule I think we'd see a lot more of those kits built.

Back