Anyone here made a D1-4 Spindle nose?

Thank you all for your input and encouragement!
I will consider a few more details and then decide if I attempt to make a complete new spindle or an adapter to take D1-4 chucks and backing plates.
Any recommendations for material to use? If I make a whole new spindle, I guess I should use 40xx series steel, for just an adapter maybe 10xx steel would suffice?

Cheers, Joe

Yes, I've made D1-type adapter plates from scratch.

Cast iron is the ideal material for these kinds of fixtures because it has amazing ability to absorb vibration. Absolutely, 10xx steel will work just fine for all practical purposes.

Good luck and let us know if you ideas on how to approach this.

Ray

My first choice would be 4140 HT for an adaptor, fairly hard and tough, but not too hard to machine relatively easily. Cast iron would be my last choice, at least in the softer grades, like class 30 or even class 40; ductile iron would be OK, perhaps in the area of 80,000 lb. tensile strength.

Ok, I get it now... I did not read your initial post properly. You basically want to make a spindle nose. Yep, benmycherry is right, you need something like a medium hardness material as suggested.

Ray

Ok, I get it now... I did not read your initial post properly. You basically want to make a spindle nose. Yep, benmycherry is right, you need something like a medium hardness material as suggested.

Ray
Don't feel bad, I have that problem all too often (not reading things carefully) It only gets worse as time passes -----

I know who could help you with this if he has time. Bob (aametalmaster).
He's a member, but doesn't post much- has a lot on his plate.
Contact him and let him know what you need.

One of our members made a D1-3 spindle for his lathe-from scratch
it's in the Clausing section under "Clausing 111/4800 spindle upgrade"
an advanced level project for sure
Mark

I made a D1-5 for my ER chuck.
Was not that difficult.

I’m working on a thread on D1-4 for my clausing. The problem with making a complete replacement spindle is the bore. I would need to farm that out. So what I desided to do is thread it to fit my 1 1/2”-8 thread then tig it on permently. Then skim true it to the lathe for minimum runout.
First you need to get copy of the ISO 702-2 spec for details of the D1 spindle dimensions. My lathe is a 12x36 so I figured the D1-4 was a better fit. I’m making my adapter from 1045 cheaper than a big chunk of 4140 so if I screw the pooch on this it won’t cost an arm and a leg.
CH

Back