Anyone in AZ, I need a small repair.

mike96

Registered
Registered
Looking to see if someone would be willing to give me a small hand with a repair. All I need done is to have the end of the lead screw for my mill/lathe where it contacts the bearing plate re cut. The surface where it contacts the bushing is so worn down, it is grinding its way into the bearing. I plan on upgrading machines in the semi-near future but untill then I would like to keep this running for the time being so that I have something I can to continue practicing/using until then. I would love to be able to do this myself but it will be very dificult once the machine is apart.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Just curious, if the leadscrew fits thru your spindle, why couldn't you re-cut the end on your lathe manually?
-Mark

........just be sure to control whip on the free end outboard of the headstock!

-brino

Just curious, if the leadscrew fits thru your spindle, why couldn't you re-cut the end on your lathe manually?
-Mark
The reason I can't do it myself is because it is a combo machine and once I pull the leadscrew out I will have no way of controlling the x axis. Makes it kind of hard to use without that key component.

The reason I can't do it myself is because it is a combo machine and once I pull the leadscrew out I will have no way of controlling the x axis. Makes it kind of hard to use without that key component.
If you have a carriage lock, you can still do it I would expect. Lock the carriage and move the stock instead of the carriage to feed into the cutter.

How long is the leadscrew, and what is it's outer diameter.

Thanks for the reply's. I am waiting on a couple of things in the mail to come in for this, I want to make a small modification. I am looking to add a couple of thrust bearings to this axis. As soon as I get them in and can take a couple of measurements I will be ready to get this fixed. As for the length of the leasdscrew it's about 22 inches, major diameter of the screw is .75. Funny, Addertooth and Westerner are both about the same distance from me only in opposite directions. I would probably be willing to hit up either depending on if/when we could make schedules match up. I will keep you in mind Erich if need though, thank you for the offer.

Funny, Addertooth and Westerner are both about the same distance from me only in opposite directions.
I am retired. My schedule has some really enjoyable flexibility.
That said, winter is here, and I-17 can really test a feller's timing if the snow is flying.

Your leadscrew's dimensions are no problem for my lathe.
Send me a PM if you would like to proceed. :grin:

Back