Anyone Interested in Hosting a Machine Repair Class?

Hi Everyone. I am now recruiting "Hosts" for Machine Rebuilding and Way Scraping Classes. I have several people looking to attend a class in NY, OH, MI, SE USA, CO.

We have a couple of members who volunteered there hobby shop but we never got enough students to make the class happen in IA and WI.

What you need is a shop that can handle 8 to 10 people. You need to have a granite or a good cast iron 36" x 36" (aprox size) surface plate or a couple of smaller ones, a couple of heavy duty work benches, good lighting, bathroom, a small mill or lathe you might need some repair work done to it. We usually start the class on Fri and do Sat and Sun, 10 hour days. I teach you and the students. You can see pictures and comments on our forum I help moderate "Machine Rebuilding and Restoration".
The "hosts" receive the training for free. I donate part of the student fee's to the Hobby Machinist.
Please give it some thought about opening your shop for a class this fall , next winter or when ever.
Have a good hump day. Rich

Richard,

Where in NY?

John

Alternatively, I'm good with Dayton MN.
My wife actually agreed to cook!

Summer 2013 is to late to plan for.
How about "winter break" after Christmas and before Spring 2014 classes begin?
Alternatively, Spring Break or anytime Summer 2014.

Can we make this an agenda item for the Group meeting in IGH MN late July?

Would like to get this on Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa/Dakota radar.

Daryl
MN

Count me in as a student if this comes about. But yes, discussing it on the 27th at the UMHM get together would be perfect!

Central or N. Fl would likely get enough interest ....

I am ready Tony. The key is timing and planing in advance. Want to talk about doing one in the spring before it gets Texas Hot in the summer. The Dallas class we had 3 or 4 years ago was during your 60+ days of 100 degree's. It was a miracle the AC worked in Nathans Quonset hut...It was a hot sucker. Pick a weekend and start to talk about it and see how many want to attend. Thanks Tony. Rich

Yep, we've had a couple of hot summers lately. But I have plenty of AC in the shop, so don't worry about that part. Obviously, Spring or Fall would make any travel to and from all that much cooler, but the shop will always be cool. We'll open this up for invitation and see what dates work out for everyone. I'm pretty flexible.

Jamie in PA is taking applications now in another tread he started in this Machine Scraping forum. He had better results when he advertised in his own post. We have had so many people interested in a 8 to 10 student class we might have another one in New Jersey later in the spring at Bernies shop. (see that thread)

When your ready we can advertise it here and other places. I know another former student from Austin I am sure would want to come. I know Tony is super busy so if you want me to help get this going I can, but usually the Host does a lot of the emailing as he gets the training for free
:)
For those of you interested PM me. If any of you are interested in hosting a class we will be looking at Sept of this year, 1ST or 2nd week in Oct, Possibly November depending on how long I will be in Taiwan for my class reunion on Oct. 23rd, and next year. I would prefer a winter class as escaping MN winters to teach in TX or Florida. The way it works, once we get 8 to 10 people we ask for a 1/2 payment down that we do not cash until 60 days before the class starts.

Just in case we don't get enough student I will refund your down payment. If we have enough by then I will cash the down payment and send you all the info and a copy of my DVD that you can keep. Then the first day of the class we ask for balance. I can't discuss prices here, so please PM me so I can send you my email.
I will furnish everything you wil need plus you can bring a special project. You can also get more info by looking in this forums past posts and you can see info from the GA and CA classes we held this past spring.
Thanks as Happy Scraping Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to host one here in Scotland, so Richard if you ever find that your going to be on this side of the Atlantic i would love to host one. I'm pretty sure we could certainly generate the interest.

Regards

Mike Young

I'd love to host one here in Scotland, so Richard if you ever find that your going to be on this side of the Atlantic i would love to host one. I'm pretty sure we could certainly generate the interest.

Regards

Mike Young

I would love to travel to Scotland and tour your beautiful country. I might bring my metal detector and see if I can find some Roman gold :) Maybe we can increase the class size to 15 or 20 so it would cover my expenses. Check with your friends there and after the class I can take a tour. Maybe in 2014 sometime?
Thanks Mike for the invitation! Rich

Two things.

1. Attend a class, you'll learn lots and well worth it.

2. I would be interested in another scraping class in Cottage Grove, MN.

Chris

Back