Anyone into trains??

Otis, I remember the Cass #4 well. when I was 16, I took a ride on her, and managed to talk my way into a cab ride. She was my first ride on a hot steam locomotive. I'm an engineer for a tourist railroad here in Washington State, (Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad) and have done in years past a lot of tire turning at our machine shop. I'm curious as to why they removed the tire for turning instead of placing the whole axle in the wheel lathe. Or was that a different tire than the one shown being removed in the video? By the way, Love that wheel lathe!!!!!

Over 30 years ago as a young lad, I was a member of an HO club here in Queens. We had a large layout and held a show at Christmas time. The club is still there under a new name. I operated steam engines, built some kits, did scenery and trackwork. The hobby became a business and that ultimately ruined it for me. I produced a line of HO rolling stock, under the name Roller Bearing Models. Did my own centrifugal white metal castings (had the equipment in my workshop) as well as polyester resin castings produced in silicon latex molds. Sold through Walthers. The smell of the tin-lead-antimony foundry and the polyester resins was making me ill and I had to give up. I was also a railfan and yearned to work on live steam engines, but the closest ones were in NJ (Black River & Western in Ringoes). When I got older, wife took me to visit Maine, and I discovered the Seashore Trolley Museum. Became licensed to operate the various trolleys on their premises. Really wanted to work in their restoration shop, but not enough time up there (the-ah) to really get into it. When kids arrived, trips to Maine ended, so here I am...

I found this link on one the other sites I visit and thought you "Iron Horse" people would like it.

It's pretty cool if you ask me.
*********Just Saying******************Gator***************

ED: Removed link- it showed some questionable stuff in Russian. Nelson

....snip.......I'm curious as to why they removed the tire for turning instead of placing the whole axle in the wheel lathe. Or was that a different tire than the one shown being removed in the video? By the way, Love that wheel lathe!!!!!

Sorry for the long delay, real life intrudes....

We had to remove the tires to weld them up, we can weld them once only (FRA rules) If we don't weld, we just stick the whole axle in and re-profile. Right now we are doing the tires on the #2 engine, no welding so we're just loading the axle and all in this time.

I'm into trains. I build all my trains in 1:13.7 scale on 32 and 45 mm track, mostly 32mm

I got a South Bend 9A lathe in April so I'm hoping to make a steam engine that's geared way down to slow speed and runs on propane or alchohol. Anyone know of plans? The simpler the better, as I'm a machinist newby.

Here's a short vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BzupXIxQUk

I'm in Northern Virginia, Gainesville.

Interested in talking to anyone with similar interests.

Dave V

Hi Dave. Cool little train you have. Nice lay out as well!!! That little canal is neat!!!

Chris

Back