Anyone Know where to find a Steady Rest? Clausing Colchester 15 (1970)

I don't know what my steady rest was from originally, but it was just the right size. All that I had to do was trim the v so it would fit my bed, then make a block to raise the flat side.

I like that style finger adjustment, looks great.
Nice work.
The trick is to get the datum point in the direct center of the steady circle correct?
I know the height of the spindle center line, how do you measure the dead center of the steady circle? (please forgive my descriptive ignorance)

I just propped mine up with spacers until it was centered with the tailstock. It doesn't have to be perfect because of the adjustability of the fingers, like a 4 jaw.

Hey Ted,
Could you please take one of your adjusters apart and take a picture of how it is made?
Thanks,
Jeff

I like that style finger adjustment, looks great.
Nice work.
The trick is to get the datum point in the direct center of the steady circle correct?
I know the height of the spindle center line, how do you measure the dead center of the steady circle? (please forgive my descriptive ignorance)
A steady rest does not need to be uber accurately on center. The fingers individually adjust, and only are a problem with fitting on really small diameter work. Coarse errors can slightly limit the actual work sizes that will fit compared to the nominal design amounts, that is about all. Mostly a steady rest only needs to be sturdy and accept the size material you will be using.

Bob, i’v never used one, I assumed they had to be geometrically spot on.
A follow rest is for knurling, threading or facIng/contour to add rigidity away from the chuck for flex control?

Back