Anyone know which brand or any thing about this machine?

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
MAYBE ONE OF YOU HAVE ONE IN YOUR SHOP---IT IS SET UP TO CUT KEYWAYS BUT I"M SURE THAT IS NOT JUST WHAT IT WAS MADE FOR---THE ONLY MARKING ON IT IS A RIVETED ON PLATE THAT HAS 225. ---IT HAS A THREADED 1 1/2 X 8 SPINDLE AND TAKES R8 COLLETS---IT'S KIND OF LIKE A HARDINGE SPEED LATHE BUT DIFFERENT---THE V BELT DRIVES A LOWER SHAFT INSIDE AND SPROCKETS AND CHAIN DRIVE THE SPINDLE SHAFT. i CAN MOUNT A 3 0R 4 JAW CHUCK BUT THERE IS MORE ROOM TO JUST USE COLLETS TO HOLD MY WORKPIECE AND THEN I PLAN ON MAKING A TOOL HOLDER TO MOUNT ON THE BED--IT HAS ALL THREE DOVETAILED AXIS AND IS 20" TALL--I MOUNTED IT ON A STAND NOW---WELL I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP IDENTIFY IT---- AND I AM STILL NEEDING A BALAS/SANDVIK C2 COLLET HOLDER IF ANYONE HAS ONE TO SELL --THANKS DAVECopy of davids camera 5-2012 135.jpg

Copy of davids camera 5-2012 135.jpg

I have been looking in "The Big Book" a book from the 1960's and it has a machine that looks like it and I have spent an hour looking for another one online. No Luck. The one I found is a Prawema Precision second operation lathe model 125. It has a knee that a cut off slide is on.

If you find anything else let me know, I'm curious.

I see your in MN, Call, Polar Tool on 49th St N in Mpls they have all kinds of used tooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
correction--I just found out that the spindle will take an r8 but not allow it to insert the full taper--also the drawbar threads ars coarser than an r8--the two collets that I got with it hold cutters or endmills with 1/2" shafts---I still have no idea what brand it is. Dave

Funny but My question is why are you typing in Caps ? sounds like your yelling... :dunno:

this must be a rare machine to have so many people look at it and still no identification.--- thanks for looking----- Dave

Looks like a machine that was "purpose built" to cut keyways....or some single job in a production setting. I've seen key cutting mills (or key seaters might be what they were called) listed for sale, but never actually looked at the ad to see what they look like. I think I have seen one now :)).

Chuck

Sorry guys. I was trying to upload a picture and completely screwed it up. See below for the correct post, Cheers, JL

Last edited:
it is somewhat similar to some small hardinge mills, but none of them have an 1 1/2 x 8 threaded spindle and their headstock is split from the base it sits on--mine also does not have any overarm support shaft--I don't think any hardinge mills or lathes has a collet similar to a short r8. I'll keep hoping someone knows just what this is and where it was made.-----note--the internal drawbar threads are 1/2 x13tpi --- Dave

Back