Anyone know which brand or any thing about this machine?

Could it be a modified version of this Hardange mill? I bought this at Cabin Fever ten years ago specifically to cut clock wheels and have cut dozens since then.

clockmaker--funny you should mention cutting clock gears, because I also have a vintage andre bechler pinion gear cutting machine that is a very amazing machine also. I have never used it but dream about all it can do with all the precision mechanisms. have you ever seen one of these? I think it was made in the early 40s in Switzerland. --evidently your picture of your hardinge mill didn't get posted, I would like to see it. Dave

Thate looks like an early Childs. That is a very small horizontal mill. I have a friend that has two of them. The real early ones were not overarm.

"Billy G"

http://www.lathes.co.uk/childs/

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, you guys are killing me . I had forgot about those Cataracts, thanks DMS. And Billy, that Childs made my head spin . I will dream of jewelers
turnings in mill beds tonight ! Dave I have a request, restore this little horizontal into a thing of art . PS, I DON'T MIND ONE BIT IF YOU TYPE CAPS.

Man, you guys are killing me . I had forgot about those Cataracts, thanks DMS. And Billy, that Childs made my head spin . I will dream of jewelers
turnings in mill beds tonight ! Dave I have a request, restore this little horizontal into a thing of art . PS, I DON'T MIND ONE BIT IF YOU TYPE CAPS.

cross thread, I agree with you at how nice its been to get pictures of the Hardinges and the cute little Childs mills and how sturdy they are built. they still are quite different from mine. Yes I will do mine a good restore and when I get more pics of it I will surely post them--maybe then I will know who made it. Dave

Could it be a modified version of this Hardange mill? I bought this at Cabin Fever ten years ago specifically to cut clock wheels. IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

I still think that its one piece cast head would have not just been made for one machine--there should have been many casts done and more of these out there somewhere. Help!!--I know the small Hardinges look somewhat similar but are not related.--maybe it wasn't made in USA like it looks but members from all around the world are on this site that are looking at it also. * must be worth a lot for one of a kind??? still searching---Dave **will try and take some better pictures of it**

I'm sure it is not a hardinge since the spindle, the single cast head and the drive system are all different. the hardinges used the taper lock spindles, and this one has an 1 1/2" X 8tpi. Hardinge heads were separately mounted on a base, and I don't think any were chain driven spindles. ***small hor mill 055.jpgsmall hor mill 053.jpgsmall hor mill 054.jpgsmall hor mill 056.jpg I made a base for it and took some more pictures finally. --Dave

small hor mill 053.jpg small hor mill 054.jpg small hor mill 055.jpg small hor mill 056.jpg

This is still unidentified, maybe some of the new members have a clue. thanks for looking :thinking:

I have no idea what this is.
However, when Dave gave me a shop tour, he showed it to me.
If I make some erroneous post, then I receive updates without having to remember to check in.
It is a gorgeous machine!!
Good luck Dave.

Back