Anyone own a 9x19 Jet lathe?

I don't own one, so I can't help you on that lathe. But, if you can describe what kind of work you plan on doing, you might
get feedback that will help you decide. Pros and cons to a large extent depend on what you want to do with it, which also
helps when looking at alternatives, (Grizzly or PM, for example). It also helps to know where you are budget wise.

"Looks like a toy to me by the pictures."

Guess that settles it...

The metal supplier near me has one of these on the display floor. I've not used one but I've fondled the one they have and it seems to be well made, everything moves smoothly etc. I like the size, it's footprint isn't much larger than my Sherline but with 3x the swing. The weight is significantly more.

The question I have with this and the similar sized 8.5x20" at Little Machine Shop is the price. These appear to have essentially the same specs as Grizzly's G4000 9x19" but at twice the price. There are slightly larger more capable 10x22" and 11x26" available in the same $2100> price range.

Just for comparison. I have no experience with these other than window shopping for the day I decide to get a larger lathe.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-19-Bench-Lathe/G4000

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

Precision Matthews has a good following here, and their 10x22" lathe is slightly less expensive than the Jet you linked to

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

"Looks like a toy to me by the pictures."

Guess that settles it...

Some people with large lathes have no concept of needing or wanting a small lathe, I wouldn't bother reading anything more into that comment.

Some people with large lathes have no concept of needing or wanting a small lathe, I wouldn't bother reading anything more into that comment.

I wouldn't bother reading anything more into that comment.
I know with my large lathe I can do everything your little overpriced toy can do and more.

TNmike - take a look at some of the posts here by Savarin. I believe he runs a 9x19 (they appear to all be the same basic design), and has quite a few accomplished builds.

Looks like a toy to me by the pictures.
I know with my large lathe I can do everything your little overpriced toy can do and more.

That's great for you but not everyone has the room or a need for a larger lathe or have them available in their area for great prices or prices that they can afford. I don't consider it a toy, it's a hobby lathe. So what if it may be a toy to you, toys are welcome here too.

To all... if you can't be respectful of anything people want or have, then please just keep it to yourselves.

Just a reminder, owners of every make. model, and type of equipment are welcome here without exception.

And while I have you. please consider supporting your forum by upgrading your membership to premium.
There are more features and less ads.

Thanks.

I have owned a Grizzly 9 x 20 for a long time now and have been really happy with it thru the years. Thanks to many on this site I have done some updates to it but overall it is still stock. I feel that this unit has served me well and hope that it does in the years ahead. I have never run into a problem of size with fabing anything. You just have to think about what you plan to do before you buy. If your thinking of doing bigger things in the future than go bigger if not this size works well. There are many on this site that have these and are really happy with them. Overall the machine is only the first step the ad ons and tooling is were the real money gets spent. Good luck have fun. !!!

Back