Anyone own a 9x19 Jet lathe?

Thanks to all who have actually been trying to help me. I'll first give a little background about myself, and then go on to what I am looking for in a toy, er, hobby lathe. I'm 62 now, but after high school I went to a community college and got an associates degree in machine technology. After that I worked two different jobs as a machinist for a total of 11 years, plus did some machining on at least two other jobs I've had. I have not owned a large lathe but I have ran some decent sized ones. On my first job I ran pieces as large as 312" long and about 2 1/2 tons. The tailstock overhung the bed a few inches so needless to say the tailstock was really tightened down. I also ran another lathe, but only a very limited amount, that was a little shorter, but had like a 4-5 foot faceplate/chuck. It was a Pontiggia, similar to this one, give or take:
https://www.usetec.com/en/machines.html/view/1124-100322/Heavy+Duty+Lathe/PONTIGGIA/SFE+800+x+3000+
What was interesting about this lathe was its features. The compound rest had power feed, but was inoperable. The tailstock was motorized to move it up and down the bed. Here's where it really gets interesting. The spindle gearing could be set up for extremely slow rotation, say 1 rev/hr. At the same time the gearing for longitudinal feed could be set up for one foot or so per rev. A milling head with a shell cutter was mounted on the cross slide and used to cut multi-lead spirals in a 20-24" or so piece of tubing. A quite capable machine. Most of the time I ran a 21-22" Leblond.

As far as the hobby lathe, I've been mostly looking in the 8-10" swing range. I hope to purchase one later this year but how much money I will have remains to be seen. I've been primarily eyeing the Grizzy 8x16, the G0768, the Little Machine Shop 8.5x20, the 3540, and the Precision Matthews 10x22, the PM-1022V. I have also looked at many others. I would be machining wood, plastics, aluminum, steel, SS, you name it. Some features I would prefer are: power cross feed; some slower feed rates (I had an Atlas 12" for a number of years and wished it had something slower than 0.0042"/rev); variable speed spindle would be nice; well equipped, as I would be using 3-jaw, 4-jaw, faceplate, etc., and buying the accessories nickels and dimes you to death; decent power; true-inch would be nice, but no big deal; changing feeds by levers or knobs versus gear changes would be nice; etc., etc., etc. There are many tradeoffs between the various models, and a decision won't be easy. But then again money may make the decision for me.

The Jet 9x19, BDB-919, has many nice features, except for perhaps the spindle speeds. Wished the lowest speed went lower, and all of them were in a more geometric progression, or better yet, variable speed. This model appears to replace the older style 9x20 (https://www.mclemoreauction.com/auction/43/item/jet-bd-920n-bench-lathe-602). In any case I'm just still researching, and was hoping someone actually had one of the new 9x19's. Feel free to suggest any other possibilities as I have plenty of time to check them out. Thanks all.

Hmmm, upon closer examination, the Jet doesn't have power cross feed; bummer.

Small machines with power cross feed seem to be a bit on the rare side. I know the PM models have it, and I think LMS sells at least one that does.

If you decide to go for PM, you might consider the 10x30. 10 inches of bed for $100. I have a PM1127 and it's been a great machine for my needs. While it is variable speed, I do wish the low range could go a bit faster, but it works. If I get real ambitious, maybe I'll put a different VFD on there, or reprogram the existing unit, so I can run it a little faster sometimes. When I was looking last year, PM seemed to be the best deal when you factor in all the accessories and features. That probably drifts around though with various companies having sales and such. Good luck with your search!

A question, why isn't there a forum on here for Little Machine Shop, or did I miss it somehow? Thanks

A question, why isn't there a forum on here for Little Machine Shop, or did I miss it somehow? Thanks

Their lathes and many of their mills (not sure if all) are manufactured by Sieg, so probably best fit into the Sherline, Taig, Titan, Sieg mini-machine forum. Although I haven't seen a definition of "mini-machine" 9x20 seems to be largest lathes to fall into that category.

For specific machines you might also look at the Grizzly and Jet forums as well who also include some Sieg built machines in their product line.

Sieg manufactures machines under a number of resellers brand names.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/sherline-taig-titan-sieg-mini-machines.92/

No experience with the Jet 9x19 but I have the Grizzly G4000 9x20. It's been a great lathe for my home shop. Perhaps the only thing I dislike about it is that the cross-slide wheel has what I'd describe as sticktion, where it doesn't rotate smoothly. Stefan Gotteswinter on YouTube made his own bearing block to fix this issue but I have yet to undertake something like that.

41020861875_795789cd27_z.jpg

I'd say these days the difference between the 9x20 and 10x22 is minimal so I'd leap for this guy http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602.

Although if I had the room I'd probably consider the G4003 or even the G0782 from Grizzly for the bigger work envelope- like turning automotive rotors/drum-brakes/flywheels etc.

Back