Anyone recognize this old girl

Thanks for all the interest,
Certainly appears to be a Johnson from the 30's. When I did a search for vintage outboard images it didn't seam to come up but DHJ's info narrowed the search and we found it. Again odd that the flywheel on this one doesn't have Johnson cast into it?
Will definitely post the progress if I get around to a restoration. Would be a shame to not.
Thanks for the help
Greg

If i remember right the flywheel nut is left hand thread. Been a long time since I repaired them. May not be Johnson , but you should know when the flywheel is removed. I also remember the nut is captured to the flywheel and acts like it's own puller. Predecessor to omc , evinrude, Johnson.

MOOR CAILLE / MOTORGO ?

Late to the party, but my vote is early 30's Johnson K-50. Cool find Greg.

Thanks for the links, neither list parts this old but may be able to help when I get to restoring it.
Never thought of the flywheel being an after market but that makes sense. Haven't checked to see if it has any magnetism left. Hum.
Problem with my cool finds is finding the time to do anything with them. If it weren't for my trips to the dump I might be accused of becoming a horder. lol

Greg

Twin city has racks of old motors. Websites can't say everything. Give them a call after they open and send them the photo's. I also think it's a Johnson. I have a 1/2 dozen of old outboards. Brings back a lot of memories when I was a kid.

I like going to Twin City and just walk around...it's like I am a kid in a candy store.

Johnson K-series alternate-firing twin, as somebody has already pointed out.

The nut will NOT be a LH thread, it's most likely 1/2"-20 fine thread. You "can" use the rope sheave as a way to break the flywheel loose from the taper, but I recommend using a proper puller instead because once the rope sheave is broken..... its broken.

One of the reasons these motors get put aside is they get hard to start when they begin to accumulate internal wear. its a rotary-valve induction engine, so the clearances matter WRT to centre bearing specs. If the clearance between the centre main journal and its supporting bearing is much more than 0.003", these things get hard to start because of internal leakage around the rotary valve. Some of these motors had a sealing ring added around the centre main for that very reason.

As with most antique Johnsons, the coils are almost always still good, which is a good thing, because there are two coils and having to replace them both would suck.

Hope this helps.

Best,
PM T2

Back