Anyone recognize this vice?

My advice, disassemble, clean thoroughly and put it to work. Don't waste a second on cosmetics.
If you like how it works and it is accurate enough for your needs, then tart it up.

It might just teach you that a nice mill vise is what you need.

I suppose theres always the fallback position of jb weld. Probably see the color difference, but at least it will be (somewhat) flat and smooth…

I saw the title and thought I got this one. Well dang wouldn't you know, not the type of vices I'm a expert in. Maybe next time.

I would clean it up and check accuracy then decide if it was going to the drill press or the mill.

I suppose theres always the fallback position of jb weld. Probably see the color difference, but at least it will be (somewhat) flat and smooth…
Sorry, but you seem to be hung up on filling the low spots. Low spots really don't matter as long as your part, or the parallels, can bridge them and keep the part in the same plane as the bed of the machine. Trying to fill them with braze or JB Weld or whatever brings a high probability of creating high spots which will ensure the vise is no longer co-planar.

Another key issue is the moving jaw. Wear in the guides will allow the jaw to lift as you tighten it. That's bad as it probably tilts the part. In the worst case, the part isn't being held very securely.

As others have said, clean up the vise and check how it operates. If it excessively worn or banana-shaped, you won't be happy using it with a milling machine. To really rehab an old vise, I think you'd need a surface grinder.

Craig
(And I believe I saw that Busybee has their 5 inch vise on sale right now...)

I would say a good cleaning is all that's needed for now, once you have your mill, check to see if it's a good size for the table, it looks too big for a mini mill.

Clean it first... make sure there are no high spots in the ways... and that the jaws do not have high spots either...

Test it as is

Post photos after it is clean!

I have a No. 1 in a little bit less better, little bit, clean it up, use it.
Other just want to spend your $$$$$.

Back