Anyone Use This Bit Centering / Aligment Gadget?

There is no reason it shouldn't work. The sensitivity will be determined by the separation between the vee and the notch and the sensitivity of the bubble. Most level vials are on the order of 1/16" per foot for a noticeable movement of the bubble. For a separation of 2", this would be on the order of .01" difference in height for a sensitivity. This of course assumes a level lathe. You would best adjust the height by another method and use that setting to "calibrate" your height adjustment tool.

Bob

like Bob says the lathe need to me level for this to work as I see it.

I'm sure it would work. But its a complex solution to a simple problem, IMHO.

I'll continue to just use my steel rule pinched against the stock to determine height. or just observe the tool right as it reaches zero on facing. Or just measure the height above the compound surface with my caliper. bet there's a couple more methods I'm not thinking of.

Karl

I have one of those little centering levels. The only time I use it is when I need a small little level (not lathe tool set up). To center lathe tools, I use the tailstock center, the small ruler, a height gauge or a small gauge (depends on the set up).

Thanks, I think I'll get one just to see how it reads compared to the other ways. The Lathe is level. Curiosity.

I have and use one to get my tools close to center. Observing while facing is certainly more accurate. And btw, as pictured the level will not read accurately. The very edge of the tool nearest the operator needs to be the only part touching the tool bit. And it needs to touch only the very cutting edge of the tool bit.

Harry

I have one and it works OK for me. And you do have to make sure that only the flat part of the cutout rests on the tip of the tool.

[QUOTE="Karl_T,

I'll continue to just use my steel rule pinched against the stock to determine height. or just observe the tool right as it reaches zero on facing. Or just measure the height above the compound surface with my caliper. bet there's a couple more methods I'm not thinking of.

Karl[/QUOTE]
^^^^^ This is how I learned to center back in H.S. MS class back in the late 70's. Been serving me well ever since.

Back