Apprentice or New to the trade machinist . What should I have to start ?

Thanks forhire . That is the perfect set for starting out . :encourage: Some of those tools are pretty inexpensive these days off the bay but your better tools will cost you indeed .

There may have been one in one of the photos, but I didn't notice an edge finder or combination square. . Way back, the shop I really started in let workers order tools and pay them off for so much a week. I started off spending $200 for the basics (1973 prices) and had to pay $5/week. They also told me to buy empty drill indexes and let me fill them as needed

Two Pieces of paper taped to the lid of you tool box. mark them A, B. If you borrow something write it down on list A. if you borrow something twice you move it to the b list. B list are tools you need to buy, When list B is empty buy of list A. best advice my first toolmaker ever gave me. i didn't waist money on tools i didn't need!

In forhire's pictures, but not identified:
scribe with magnet
thread pitch gages (metric and imperial)
dial test indicator .0005 reading

Not previously shown or mentioned
Indicol indicator holder

I have a couple of little Zeus books which I use often, along with the 6" calipers already mentioned.

Good safety glasses! Ones that fit comfortably and won't scratch up too easily so you end up taking them off to see stuff clearly or they're irritating.

This is a great thread. There have been similar ones but they tend to turn into huge lists of tools that become far less useful (I can look in a catalog for that).

Question for @forhire (or anyone else) in post #10 above what kind of foam is that?

That's referred to as closed cell foam. You can get it in different thicknesses, commonly found at Hobby Lobby.

Back