Apron and Carriage Removal

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I decided to take the carriage off to clean a little and inspect. I discovered my lead screw is bent. It's ~52" and when I rotate it it moves from just touching the lath to an inch and a half away from the lathe. Is this enough to do anything about it?
Also the double row self aligning bearings (1201 & 1202) that hold the feed screw and feed rod(?) in place are shot. The one oilier was plugged so I think that contributed to the failure.

Your lead screw should be straight as a arrow. What type of lathe any pics. Can be straightened but tedious work.

It's an older Acra 13x40.
I think I would just buy a new one.
I have a 3 ton arbor press, I don't thin no that would cut it.

It’s not gonna take much to bend straight. Theirs a video Keith fennel did on straightening a BP leadscrew. Good video to see what it entails. Good luck

I remember seeing him straighten shafts with a torch and water quench.
I'll have to check it out.

Likely you could straighten the lead by simply placing on two blocks at the ends and add weight in the center.

I got the lead screw off and inspected it.
I discovered it is not bent at all but the shaft it connects to is running out .015". So I will be living with it for now.

Do you think you could send it out to be straightened? I'm sure there are companies out there that would do that sort of thing and it would likely be cheaper than buying one.

IDK Mike. I'd have to dig down in the change gears I believe and pull the gear.

Nah, I was talking about the leadscrew but if its straight then my suggestion is rubbish.

Back