APT/Michigan Drill Boring Heads?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking at getting a 2" boring head for a radius lathe job....and if a boring job for my 8520 mill comes up. Figure it'll do double duty so that's a nice feature. Looked at Criterion DBL-202A models with the 3/8" holes on ebay and man, these guys are asking a lot for a good condition one. I see APT brand and they have model BHTA with 3/8" holes. Supposedly made in the USA by Michigan Drill. Anyone have an APT and/or any opinions on them? Thanks.

Last edited:
There's a brand you don't see mentioned often. I don't have one of their boring heads but I have heard they are pretty good. I'd definitely take one over an Chinese import that's for sure. I was going to buy one but ended up finding a used Criterion for less.

I do have an APT arbor on my 2" Criterion though & it seems to be just as nice as the Criterion arbor on my 3" Yuasa.

Thanks Will. That's what I've been reading. I'm eyeballing a Criterion on da'Bay but honestly it's more than I want to spend. I try to save up and get the best I can because IMO well built tools, if you take care of them, will last. Hopefully.

I hear ya. I serached for a while off & on for my boring heads. All the ones I came across were in worse condition than I wanted or just way more than I wanted to spend. Then one day unexpecredly I scored my 2" Criterion for an awesome price. Then a few days I scored the 3" Yuasa (copy of a Criterion). I didn't need the Yuasa but it was cheap & no one else bidded on it.

Back