Arbor press stand - general recommendations?

I shed a tear every time you write about scrapping metal... I look at the small stash of random metal I have on the side of the lathe and get depressed...

Everyone is telling me to save everything... and here you are just scrapping away...

Here is just a small sample of aluminum and stainless . We started weighing it last night , well over 500 lbs of stuff . :grin: I'm going to keep some of the jig plate for a project of mine .

Attachments

• IMG_9314.JPG
    IMG_9314.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9315.JPG
    IMG_9315.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9316.JPG
    IMG_9316.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9317.JPG
    IMG_9317.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9318.JPG
    IMG_9318.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9319.JPG
    IMG_9319.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9320.JPG
    IMG_9320.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9321.JPG
    IMG_9321.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9322.JPG
    IMG_9322.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 14
Here is just a small sample of aluminum and stainless . We started weighing it last night , well over 500 lbs of stuff . :grin: I'm going to keep some of the jig plate for a project of mine .
Save a few sticks of 80/20 for me. I'll grab it when I come by next week. If there's anything else left, wouldn't mind taking some home with me. Hope there will be room for my wife on the way home... Nah, I'll shoehorn her in somehow. ;)

I shed a tear every time you write about scrapping metal... I look at the small stash of random metal I have on the side of the lathe and get depressed...

Everyone is telling me to save everything... and here you are just scrapping away...
Don't shed any tears. Sometimes things come your way. Other times, it is dry. It all works out somehow. For the most part, I've had to buy my stock new. Used to be able to go to a decent scrap yard and come home with interesting things, but it is harder these days to do that.

You wouldn't believe some of the junk my buddy tries to bring me. Have to turn a bit of it away. He means well, and I appreciate it, but, wow, some of it is a bit odd. Have some weirdly shaped bits of metal, with huge countersunk holes in spots that makes it really hard to repurpose. Probably should post the picture, maybe it is something useful to someone, but probably not...

Don't shed any tears. Sometimes things come your way. Other times, it is dry. It all works out somehow. For the most part, I've had to buy my stock new. Used to be able to go to a decent scrap yard and come home with interesting things, but it is harder these days to do that.

You wouldn't believe some of the junk my buddy tries to bring me. Have to turn a bit of it away. He means well, and I appreciate it, but, wow, some of it is a bit odd. Have some weirdly shaped bits of metal, with huge countersunk holes in spots that makes it really hard to repurpose. Probably should post the picture, maybe it is something useful to someone, but probably not...

I had the opportunity to buy all the material (including the stand) from where I got the 9x20 lathe, but I had no place to store it. I regret not following through with that purchase... so I have been buying new as well...

Oh, and eBay... every time I see some kind of stock that I think could be useful in the future, and at a good price with free shipping... I go ahead and buy it. That is how I have some brass stock, hex, round, square...

I had the opportunity to buy all the material (including the stand) from where I got the 9x20 lathe, but I had no place to store it. I regret not following through with that purchase... so I have been buying new as well...
Yard ornaments ! Put a flower pot on it and no-one would know the difference . :grin: Most of my neighbors have more junk than me , which is really saying something . My Cub Cadets attract butterflies every year ! :laughing:My last one will be leaving next week ............... SOLD !

80/20 is great stuff for prototyping but without the hardware it’s tough to use. There is different series that take different t-nuts and the screws have to be a very specific length which can be annoying. Some of my best stuff is made out 80/20 I was lucky to find on the local CL that was originally a 4x8 CNC router table. The best part was I got all the hardware with the deal, the angle corners, t-nuts, bolts and fittings. It would have been well over $1500 all for $175. That said I would not consider 80/20 for making an arbor press stand and welded my stand out of steel.

I have tons of 80/20 at the house now . Very large and small tables . :)

80/20 is great stuff for prototyping but without the hardware it’s tough to use. There is different series that take different t-nuts and the screws have to be a very specific length which can be annoying. Some of my best stuff is made out 80/20 I was lucky to find on the local CL that was originally a 4x8 CNC router table. The best part was I got all the hardware with the deal, the angle corners, t-nuts, bolts and fittings. It would have been well over $1500 all for $175. That said I would not consider 80/20 for making an arbor press stand and welded my stand out of steel.
The 80/20 wasn't for the arbor press. I was thinking of using some to make a lathe tool rack. Should be easier than milling out slots in square tubing.

Having a handful of the proper fittings would definitely be handy. My shop is missing some basic things. When making things to build up your own infrastructure, one often gets stymied by simple stuff. I need to do X, but that requires, Y, W & Z. Sometimes W is expensive, so you forgo X, or you have to think of a different way. The lathe tool rack was like that for a while. I need one bad. In a small area, you can't have much clutter and be functional. I'm always looking for a place to put the tooling! Anyways, thought it would be handy to have some 80/20 for the tool rack and future projects.

Yard ornaments ! Put a flower pot on it and no-one would know the difference . :grin: Most of my neighbors have more junk than me , which is really saying something . My Cub Cadets attract butterflies every year ! :laughing:My last one will be leaving next week ............... SOLD !
I think you attract Cub Cadets? :) Somehow they seem to find you.

Back