Arbor press stand - general recommendations?

I think you attract Cub Cadets? :) Somehow they seem to find you.
I think everything finds me . Equipment , tools , Cub Cadets etc etc etc . I do check out the sites for older Cubs and IHs regularly , I can't let Fin have all the fun ! :big grin: We're outside stripping down the 80/20 tables now . I'm serious , we got some good stuff . Saved from going into the dumpster . :encourage:

Just to add , the wife and daughter are out picking up that $1600 rescued kitten now . I could've bought another piece of equipment for that price , and it would'nt tear up the curtains . :eek:

.....except for picturing Dave's Junk!
;)

Brian
Oh no man... I am saving those photos from Dave for when my wife complains about the mess in my garage! I mean, I have a mess in the garage... but compared to him, whom we shall not name... :laughing:

Last edited:
The 80/20 wasn't for the arbor press. I was thinking of using some to make a lathe tool rack. Should be easier than milling out slots in square tubing.

Having a handful of the proper fittings would definitely be handy. My shop is missing some basic things. When making things to build up your own infrastructure, one often gets stymied by simple stuff. I need to do X, but that requires, Y, W & Z. Sometimes W is expensive, so you forgo X, or you have to think of a different way. The lathe tool rack was like that for a while. I need one bad. In a small area, you can't have much clutter and be functional. I'm always looking for a place to put the tooling! Anyways, thought it would be handy to have some 80/20 for the tool rack and future projects.
Absolutely true. I’m always wanting something that is either too expensive or is not available. Organization is my #1 thrust as I hate searching for something I know I have but can’t find. #2 is special tools/fixtures and these are always DIY. Until the 80/20 i discovered by accident on CL I was at a standstill on several machine/mounts/fixtures. I made a forming press, a radii cutter and totally adjustable die grinder mount all out of 80/20 that are critical for my manufacture process.

i suffer greatly from that” I need to do X, but that requires, Y, W & Z.” But I had a goal of doing more sheetmetal work which I had projects for. Like making a hood for my DIY powder coat booth. That took finding a bead roller, shrinker/stretcher and a 3n1. Once that was done it was possible to make a sheetmetal lathe tool holder that does it for me.

Attachments

• 747945D4-4208-4463-ACAD-4A5ECBE0658C.jpeg
    747945D4-4208-4463-ACAD-4A5ECBE0658C.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 6
  • E582F6BD-5301-4B7B-9F66-4561923A4176.jpeg
    E582F6BD-5301-4B7B-9F66-4561923A4176.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 6
Oh no man... I am saving those photos from Dave for when my wife complains about the mess in my garage! I mean, I have a mess in the garage... but compared... :laughing:
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....................................pics to come when we get everything together . Really can't call it junk being so expensive . :big grin: But right now , yep , a mess for sure !

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....................................pics to come when we get everything together . Really can't call it junk being so expensive . :big grin: But right now , yep , a mess for sure !
I am talking about this photo... I saved this photo immediately after you post it...

Of course to me it is not junk... I see a playground.... reason why I cringe every time you mention the word scrap... uuhhhh Mufasa! (reference to Lion King for those with children)... uhhhhhh...

IMG_9323.JPG

Absolutely true. I’m always wanting something that is either too expensive or is not available. Organization is my #1 thrust as I hate searching for something I know I have but can’t find. #2 is special tools/fixtures and these are always DIY. Until the 80/20 i discovered by accident on CL I was at a standstill on several machine/mounts/fixtures. I made a forming press, a radii cutter and totally adjustable die grinder mount all out of 80/20 that are critical for my manufacture process.

i suffer greatly from that” I need to do X, but that requires, Y, W & Z.” But I had a goal of doing more sheetmetal work which I had projects for. Like making a hood for my DIY powder coat booth. That took finding a bead roller, shrinker/stretcher and a 3n1. Once that was done it was possible to make a sheetmetal lathe tool holder that does it for me.
Still starting out, and there's quite a few times that I have been stumped. Sheet metal is something that I'd love to be able to do, but don't even know where to start. If I was to be honest with myself, I need to do some car body work before the sheet metal evaporates on me, but I really don't know what I am doing with sheet metal at all. Bigger stuff, I don't mind, but forming, shaping and welding sheet metal remains a challenge to me.

Now that I have a press, there's a bunch of things that I can do that I couldn't do before. After I get back home from visiting @mmcmdl I am going to make a pin spanner for my ER40 set true chuck. I can't tighten the collet nut to spec, because I have nothing to hold the chuck from spinning! I will use the press to install the 8mm pins for the spanner.

I am talking about this photo... I saved this photo immediately after you post it...

Of course to me it is not junk... I see a playground.... reason why I cringe every time you mention the word scrap... uuhhhh Mufasa! (reference to Lion King for those with children)... uhhhhhh...

View attachment 411379
I see all good stuff! :grin:

Still starting out, and there's quite a few times that I have been stumped. Sheet metal is something that I'd love to be able to do, but don't even know where to start. If I was to be honest with myself, I need to do some car body work before the sheet metal evaporates on me, but I really don't know what I am doing with sheet metal at all. Bigger stuff, I don't mind, but forming, shaping and welding sheet metal remains a challenge to me.

Now that I have a press, there's a bunch of things that I can do that I couldn't do before. After I get back home from visiting @mmcmdl I am going to make a pin spanner for my ER40 set true chuck. I can't tighten the collet nut to spec, because I have nothing to hold the chuck from spinning! I will use the press to install the 8mm pins for the spanner.
Sheet metal... same here. I have a project that I have restored every mechanical part to like new condition... Everything is ready to go back in the car but I need to do some sheet metal repairs...and that scares the heck out of me.

Weld suggestions.jpg

I need to take the time to practice before I give it a try in the car....

Back