Arbor Press

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any arbor press recommendations? General small shop use.
Thanks.

Search craigslist for old FAMCO or Dake arbor presses. Got my Famco 3 ton for around $100 if I remember right. About 1950's vintage. Much heavier/durable than the new imports. Came with the original platen (wheel with different size slots) and no hammer marks on the top of the ram. Also get one with a deep throat if possible. Really increases the size of the work piece that can be handled. Couldn't imagine using anything smaller. The one ton presses look like toys compared to it.
Avoid any that show abuse or missing the wheel. Good ones are out there. Takes a while but worth it. Use mine all the time.

I was thinking 1-1.5 ton.
I was looking at a Dake but of course they are expensive.
I'll checkout CL.

I suggest at least a 3-ton; you will need the space capacity. An option, although with less tactile feel and much slower in use, is a hydraulic press. They are cheaper and readily available.

The only one of CL here is a Famco 2. $295
None on eBay within 100 miles.

I've got an older USA made 2 ton. How big should you get? Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a lot of power, maybe consider a hydraulic unit. For my "light duty" use, 2 ton is fine and maybe a 3 would be better, but if I want more power in my shop I will go hydraulic.

Ted

At this time it is just to have one. Nothing planned except some bearings that will need pressing on a shaft.
I replaced my mill spindle's bearings without one. Would have been nice though to have one.

Back