Arc of Shame - Any Worse than this?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am always amazed by how some people treat tools. I just recently picked up an old 600 series Rockwell Drill press that I am now restoring. Over the past few years I have restored about a dozen drill presses but this one definitely has the worst Arc of Shame I have dealt with. This guy wasn't satified just to drill holes in the table; he went back over it with a hole saw! Anybody have any pictures of a worse one?

Randy

arc of shame.jpg Arc of shame2.jpg

A guy in my local metalworking group had an old Buffalo Forge DP that had similar issues... though not near as bad as the one you have there. Uh... congratulations?

What's the plan to repair? New table, or weld buildup?

it looks like the worst case of metal termites i have ever seen, you had better call the Orkin man!!!:lmao:

that has to be the worst table ever.
:vomit:

I think people start to care less about the machine as the machine reaches, what they perceive to be, the end of its life. I'd bet the majority of the damage happened in the last few years of use, maybe after a new drill entered the shop.

Don't chuck it. Lay a new piece of steel on top and weld it on if you can. Then do some weld build up on the back. No use building up the whole area with filler. NI99 rod is just too expensive.

I could see someone pushing a 3/16", even a 1/4" bit through a table, but how the heck do you put a 1"+ hole saw through the EDGE of a CI table and not know you've gone far enough!? Takes all kinds I s'pose.

If this is the way they deal with their tools I don't want to think to the quality of their jobs!
On the opposite side of the scale, on YouTube there are fancy DP tables made with some tropical wood, perfectly smooth and painted, with sophisticate joints, shiny t-slots and immaculate handwheels…
I don't say to fall into this extreme, but at least a scrap of wood on the table can be used!

Just bolt on a thick piece of steel using the 4 nicely spaced holes provided.
That is a bad one, worst one I have ever seen.

Don't chuck it. Lay a new piece of steel on top and weld it on if you can. Then do some weld build up on the back. No use building up the whole area with filler. NI99 rod is just too expensive.
Mill, shape, or what have you to lose the bad stuff; make a new top(plain) 3/8 min., rogh up
edges, even, thin film ofJBWeld, position neatly, leave overnight. Use a little more JBWELD to
smooth edges, #80 paper as needed. Note: NO HEAT. Old piece is full of potential warps .....BLJHB

I am always amazed by how some people treat tools. I just recently picked up an old 600 series Rockwell Drill press that I am now restoring. Over the past few years I have restored about a dozen drill presses but this one definitely has the worst Arc of Shame I have dealt with. This guy wasn't satified just to drill holes in the table; he went back over it with a hole saw! Anybody have any pictures of a worse one?

Randy

Makes me want to puke. Probably a production shop. Low payed help, often summer job kids. They don't give a s**t about the equipment, they did't buy it. I worked in a transformer plant that had a cross slide rotary table on the dp. Troyke if memory serves, but not cheap by any means. It looked nearly that bad. Boss told me it was only 2 years old! It kills me to see that. I have a well used 1951 Craftsman dp with not a mark anywhere. Somebody cared what they did to the equipment.

Back