Are any Rules How to Feed / Lock Axes?

extropic, you have a way to express the process nicely and I understand it. I will adjust my depth of cut accordingly based on the sound of the cut.

Thanks again

extropic, you have a way to express the process nicely and I understand it. I will adjust my depth of cut accordingly based on the sound of the cut.

Thanks again

Thanks for the kind words. We want to add more light than heat to the conversation. Sometimes it works out. :grin:

Simply lock the axes that are not being fed, and back off the feed screws that will prevent the non moving axis from being dragged into deeper cuts by the feed of the other axis.

To and from the spindle along it's rotational axis is Z
The major cross axis 90 degrees to Z is X.
The minor cross axis 90 degrees to Z is Y.
That is the standard, long held convention. It all relates to the spindle axis.

Using that language, a vertical mill like a Bridgeport has Z up and down, X left and right, and Y closer and further away. A horizontal mill that looks somewhat similar has Z toward and away, X left and right, and Y up and down. A surface grinder has the same nomenclature as the horizontal mill, because it is laid out the same as a horizontal mill in reference to the spindle.

That said, with CNC machines, which may have many axes, that might move in any direction and orientation, and with many people thinking the Bridgeport mill orientation sets the standard for left/right, up/down, and closer/farther, people are calling axes anything they want, using techie sounding letters, but leaving people misunderstanding what they are describing.

I, personally, am currently making an attempt to not use those letters at all any more. I am using descriptive terms like up/down, left/right, closer/farther, toward/away, and in/out.

The common goal is communication. If we all individually invent our own languages, it is very difficult to communicate...

Standards are put in place for really good reasons.

Hmmm, learned something here.

i was going to axe a question but i changed my mind

I did my first cut today with my Taig mini lathe and although the results were good to my opinion, there are some questions I have regarding how we feed the stock and lock axes

For clarification, I consider the Z axis is moving the carriage left / right, X axis is moving the cross slide front to back and Y axis is moving the mill attachment UP / DN.

When the width on my cut is more than my end mill (in this case the end mill is 0.25” and final width of cut is 0.377”) is it ok to have the X axis unlocked and as I go UP/DN doing the cut with my Y axis also move the X axis front / back to complete the cut across the 0.377” surface?
Oscar, you did indeed have it correct in your original post. You were speaking of a lathe and I was thinking of a mill. My bad. I went off on a rant based on nothing. Again, your post was correct. My apologies.
-Bob

No problem Bob at all, this thread was a good education for me

It is kinda funny in away, I just read the first post and my very first question was, is this a lathe or a milling machine?

Looks like you got to the end one way or another. Glad we could help.

Last edited:
Back