Are there any alternatives....

You definitely need a quality 0- 1 mic, whatever it costs, I wouldn't waste my time with this one, certainly NOT Chinese. A mid price 6" digital caliper, actually the Chinese make some fairly good ones on this item, That will get you going, bide your time but keep your eyes open if a genuine bargain comes up grab it otherwise wait until you really need some items.

I have a 60 Y. old Moore and wright (English) from when I was an apprentice. It was quality then and still is quality. I have two 6" digital calipers one is about 25 Y old and the other about 3 Y. old Both Chinese, same no name brand, But I'm quite happy with them both. About $25 each. two little button batteries usually last about a year.

I also have a set of micrometers 1-2, 2-3, 3-4" in a wooden box, I was a little disappointed when I first opened the box, They looked fine but felt gritty. So I pulled them apart one at a time, cleaned and lubed them with light machine oil, (sewing machine oil is about right for these,) On re-assembly they felt like mid quality mics and when I tested them, they were quite good, accurate with good feel. I wish the Chinese would learn to clean things after machining.

One thing to remember as hobby machinists, we rarely machine to a drawing with a tight tolerance, most often we make one part and then make the next part to fit, So if your mic is out 1/2 a thou it makes no difference as long as you remember to use the same instrument to measure both parts.

Thanks Bob.

Back