Are these any good?

I think if you have a crash, it's a good idea to have plastic gear in the chain somewhere. I have some 3d filament that you anneal in the oven after you print it. It's definitely stronger than your typical plastic and has a much higher temp rating.

Composite gears have been around for quite a while. Sheldon used them as far back as the 1950's. My 13" (MW-56-P) machine has a phenolic gear in the train. As mentioned it's there as a sacrificial element in the event of a crash. It also helps quiet the gear train. The only downside I'm aware of is that being soft occasionally a piece of swarf gets caught in the teeth. When that happens there's a rhythmic thump, thump, thump, every time that tooth engages with the corresponding gear. Thankfully I can open the cover and remove the swarf with a dental pick.

I would guess with continual use this gear would be the first to wear out. However the original gear on my machine was replaced as part of a rebuild in 2014. Having lasted 54 years, I doubt I'll be having any trouble in the near future.

Back