Are these end mills or reamers?

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was given a bunch of these different tools and am not sure if they are considered reamers or end mills. There are of course some adjustable reamers shown, but I was more curious about the ones there are quite a few of. I realize some are drills, etc.

These are all 1" shank for the most part. There are a few MT tools in the group as well. Even a couple of old lantern toolpost holders. All of this was pretty rough when I got it but it cleaned up with a soak in some evaporust.

Basically just wanted to know what I have. I am new to all of this and don't really see myself using anything this big, but may keep a few for the heck of it. Sorry for the crappy pics. Have crap in my iPhone camera.

Thanks.
i-L89RhW7-X2.jpg

i-wfJ4nmB-X2.jpg

Hi Hozzie,
it appears that you mostly have high helix endmills.
they are sufficient for use in softer materials
the adjustable reamers are nice to have.
there is a shell mill in the upper right corner of the first picture, that can be quite useful on the mill.
in the bottom picture in the center top, there is a nice big drill tipped countersink
the endmills with few flutes on them are useful for harder materials

it also looks like you have some steel to play with too!
you can do a spark test on the steel to see what it may be, if you have an angle grinder or a bench grinder
Mild Steel will make straight sparks, white in color
Medium carbon steels generally make plentiful and beautiful showers of sparks, when ground
High Carbon steels will have a lot of sparks too, but not as many as medium carbon steel
HSS will spark, but the sparks are few in comparison and may be red in color

Thanks UD. The steel appears to be pretty mild. It machined easily when I did a test cut. Will try a spark test and see what I get. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks UD. The steel appears to be pretty mild. It machined easily when I did a test cut. Will try a spark test and see what I get. I appreciate the feedback.
you are welcome anytime Hozzie ;)

The 2 2 flute on the right appear to be LH twist ! ( unless my glasses are on inside out ) See a lantern tool post along with shell reamers but mostly high helix mills . May cut aluminum or anything else soft if sharp .

Last edited:
That's a great set of tooling at a great price!

Many tool steels can be quite soft in their annealed state. They machine well then harden impressively. How easily they machine is not much of a reliable indicator for the grade of steel (some exceptions apply, of course). In fact, the cheapest structural steel (A36 and similar) doesn't machine especially well. The grind/spark test already prescribed is the most convenient way to narrow it down in the home shop. Many YouTube videos on the subject are instructive, though the sparks can be difficult to film well enough to see the difference, so not all the videos are created equal.

Back