Are these listings with a fair price?

mafiaazul

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,

Just to be clear.... I really don't know anything about lathes, but I'm interested in getting to know more about them. I have a reasonable amount of woodworking tools and I'm trying to expand the collections to metal tools as well.

I saw these two posts on my local (des moines) craiglist:

/tls/d/ankeny-logan-metal-lathe/7016326007.html
/tls/d/des-moines-south-bend-lathe/7036103283.html

Are they priced accordingly? Are these lathes a good "starting" lathe for beginner?

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you post the full links?

Edit: here’s the links.

Note that the SB price was originally $200 more than this listing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I tried posting the full links but it wouldn’t let me. So, are the prices fair?

I tried posting the full links but it wouldn’t let me. So, are the prices fair?

I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt.
The South Bend doesn't have a quick change gearbox which is something I would want. It's a late 1940's model.
Tooling looks to be not too bad, definitely needs some TLC.
If the bed ways are in decent condition with minimal wear then it's probably in the ball park for price.

I can't comment much on the Logan as I have no experience with looking at them. But at first glance I'd say it's the more desirable machine based on the fact that it has a gearbox, it's a 10" swing vs 9' for the South Bend and it's a heavier machine (heavier tends to = more rigid)

It really depends on what kind of work you want to do.

Last edited:
I had a Logan 820 a few years back and I believe I got around $1400. for it, but it included quite a bit of tooling. The Southbend has more accessories but does not have the quick change gear box. If I were looking to buy a lathe I would buy the Logan at that price. Just my $0.20 worth.
Dave

Keep in mind location, machine condition and included tooling are major factors in pricing.

In an area where machinery is hard to find prices can be much higher, maybe 2-3x higher than one where machines seem to grow on trees. Someone in Detroit might look and think a price is crazy high, while on the other end lets say someone in Guam where they never see machines cheap might think it is the steal of the century. Long way of saying look where people commenting are located, and perhaps give more weight to those closer to your situation.

Condition is nearly impossible to judge from photos. A beautifully re-painted lathe looks great but could actually be trashed with heavy wear. A grimy, dusty lathe that looks like it has never seen a cleaning rag could potentially be like new. You really have to be there in person to judge condition.

Tooling can cost more than the lathe, there are people who have bought a trashed lathe just for the tooling and some spare parts.

I'd say the prices seem on the high side but not unreasonable since I'm assuming Iowa isn't swimming in machine tools. Both have a decent amount of tooling to start with, and the Logan has a collet closer and collets which could be worth a few hundred dollars on its own. No steady or follow rest on the Logan, the Southbend says there is a steady rest but I don't one in the photos.

The Southbend looks nicer, but is smaller and no quick change gear box. The Logan is a bigger with a qcgb, but looks well used, but again appearances can be deceiving, so I wouldn't assume the better paint on the SB = less wear or the dirt and chipped paint (and not original color which means probably repainted at some point) on the Logan means worn out.

Assuming they are equal in condition I think the Logan is the better deal, cheaper and the better lathe of the two.

If you plan on buying a first lathe, It's best to take your time. Older lathes like the ones you posted all have some degree of wear: how
much will determine the accuracy of the parts you make. It's best to learn how to evaluate the condition of a lathe before you buy.
Tooling is expensive, so the more a lathe comes with, the better and many sellers sell with limited tooling. Repairs are also expensive,
and on older machines parts are sometimes difficult or impossible to obtain. (Logans are a better bet in this regard because new parts are available
for them, though they aren't cheap.) It's easy to buy a lathe based on it's low price, and spend more than what you payed for the
machine putting it back into service. Ask me how I know this. :)

Both Logan and Southbend were well made machines when new. As David pointed out, the Logan has more "features". It looks pretty
beat up though, which to me suggests neglect. Neither machine has a quick change tool post, which you would almost certainly
want. If it were me I would pass on both machines, but keep them in mind as part of my research into the local market. At some point
you'll learn enough to know a good buy when you see it. While you at it, there are a ton of posts on the forum on this subject that will
help you make your decision, and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

I think it is also worth looking at new even if you have no intention of buying new. It can help you set a bar for pricing.
The Logan is a 10x24, the Southbend a 9x28? (I think, not positive on the length).

If you look at similar size import machines from Grizzly, their G4000 9x19 is $1395 with a similar variety of tooling, the G0602 10x22 is $1750, and again with a similar amount of tooling. Precision Matthews is a step above Grizzly, they don't offer a 9x lathe but they do have 10x22 and 10x30 lathes for $2299 and $2399.

There are pros and cons to used US made machines or new imports, and plenty of threads debating that, but I think it is worth considering that for the prices on these used lathes you could buy a new 9x19 lathe and are close to a new 10x22. Even if you really want an old US made lathe, that point can be helpful when negotiating.

Dang, I thought things were getting costly down here.
Des Moines might be the place to go to sell old iron.

Opinion: Rather high for those.
The SB does have a nice selection of tooling + the change gears.
The Logan, the paint looks bad, some tooling, but it doesn't seem to be clapped out from the pictures.

Back