[4]

Are these squares worth it?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Finster

Registered
Registered
LOL..... Really? No one has an opinion? This is much different than other forums I am on where everyone has an opinion. Wow, this place is very tame..... I like it.

Randall Marx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Finster
I just saw your question about these squares. I have no experience with this set, but have a couple of sets of combination squares from i-gaging. Their stuff seems to be priced quite low by comparison. With that in mind, I doubt that they are blems. I've been happy with the combination squares so far, but have not been able to check how closely they match specifications.
Please let us know what you think if you purchase them.
Thanks.
-Randall

dlane

Active User
I would get a machinist square set.

ericc

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Compare the specs with the Starrett solid squares. They aren't quite at the same level, but it may be OK for the price.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I don't have that square set but have other Igaging marking and measuring tools and they seem to be alright, have a 4" and a 6" doubles squares from them ,very accurate.
Lee Valley sells individual "Engineer's squares" they are a bit more but well worth it.

Nogoingback

LOL..... Really? No one has an opinion? This is much different than other forums I am on where everyone has an opinion. Wow, this place is very tame..... I like it.
Your first post was at 3:10 in the morning... :)

Finster

Registered
Registered
Your first post was at 3:10 in the morning... :)
6:10 AM. I'm in the East. :D Am I the only one up that early? :eagerness: Yea, couldn't sleep. I'm trying to get back to regular sleeping hours after working 3rd shift for a month.

ddickey

Outage?

RJSakowski

These squares look nice. I'm assuming they are blems. Any idea if these are a good price or can I find them cheaper else ware? I googled them but haven't seen the same set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACHINIST-S...288209?hash=item3387f4a0d1:g:EhwAAOxyXDhSknoS
The listed spec. is +/- .1º which works out to +/- .0018"/". For a 6" square, that is +/- .010". IMO, that's not very square.

A number of tool companies sell workshop grade square sets with a specified accuracy of .0008 +L/10.000, where L is the beam length, (class H) which works out to .0012" for the 6" square. Prices vary but they are around the eBay price or lower.
http://www.traverscatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Master_2017/page/1021/highlight/square

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
If that set of squares are really built to that poor a tolerance I would pass, you could likely do better from CDCO, Shars ebay, aliexpress.

Finster

Registered
Registered
If that set of squares are really built to that poor a tolerance I would pass, you could likely do better from CDCO, Shars ebay, aliexpress.
Can you recommend a good set.... with a link?

Rustrp

Registered
Registered
I see no point in buying a machinist square that isn't square and has limited capabilities. I'm even having difficulties giving it a name. A **Not-So-Square** maybe? The bevel limits it's capabilities. i.e. If you wanted to scribe a line. There are many **cute** tools on the market today because someone could program and produce them on a CNC machining center. Unfortunately I see the same accuracy tolerances quoted for the cheaper standard machinist squares with the blade pinned into the body.

ddickey

No. I've gone through two so far. I'm an NLO permanent employee. Do you just do outages?

Finster

Registered
Registered
No. I've gone through two so far. I'm an NLO permanent employee. Do you just do outages?
I see no point in buying a machinist square that isn't square and has limited capabilities. I'm even having difficulties giving it a name. A **Not-So-Square** maybe? The bevel limits it's capabilities. i.e. If you wanted to scribe a line. There are many **cute** tools on the market today because someone could program and produce them on a CNC machining center. Unfortunately I see the same accuracy tolerances quoted for the cheaper standard machinist squares with the blade pinned into the body.
I liked the fact that they were one piece of metal and not pinned. Seems like they should be better though, I agree.

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
Can you recommend a good set.... with a link?
Sadly no , main reason is most suppliers buy in large lots, their supplier can change. Mine are all decades old, but I bought them from Enco which is now swallowed up by MSC. I would think even a Harbor Freight set would be okay and if not return it, assuming they make such a tool. If you want good and don't care about price buy Browne and Sharp or Starrett or Mitutoyo.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The listed spec. is +/- .1º which works out to +/- .0018"/". For a 6" square, that is +/- .010". IMO, that's not very square.
It's interesting that in the photo, two of the squares are marked "DIN - 0", one marked "DIN - 00" and one unmarked. Anybody know what these designations mean? And I'd have to wonder about the unmarked one ... even though the seller claims they're (all) DIN standard???? Who knows ... maybe DIN includes a "clunky, junky" category in their standard, and that's what the unmarked one is rated as.

I agree that 0.1º is pretty poor.

Rustrp

Registered
Registered
I liked the fact that they were one piece of metal and not pinned. Seems like they should be better though, I agree.
The assembly process with the pinned square is what's important. After it's pinned it's ground to tolerances. The squares you posted are only good for checking (if they were accurate) inside squareness of an item. The parts usually referred to as the body and the blade are one thickness, or that's how I view them in the photos. If they're not hardened then the listed tolerances could get much worse, quickly. With that said; No precision measuring device maintains accuracy if it's dropped.

Finster

Registered
Registered
Well, I was just looking at some browne and sharps that are supposed to be accurate to .0006 but the reviews were horrible. one guy said a .005 feeler went under the 6". They are supposed to be USA made also. I don't want to spend $300 on squares (who does for a hobby) I would like to find a set that's decent for around $100. Heck, even the Starrett's I saw (zorro) were made in China, they have to be crap.

skinny_jim

Registered
I am a bit more pragmatic in replying to this post ...... what are you going to build using these squares? You use these types of tools as a visual or tactile reference. If you are not building components for the space shuttle than they may be adequate. You get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality than spend as much as you can afford if you are looking for a bargain than buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have a few "precision" tools from iGaging and I have been quite unimpressed with them. They are a set of 12, 24, and 36" precision straightedges that are poorly finished, have difficult to read markings, and are not straight -- all three of them!

Finster

Registered
Registered
I am a bit more pragmatic in replying to this post ...... what are you going to build using these squares? You use these types of tools as a visual or tactile reference. If you are not building components for the space shuttle than they may be adequate. You get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality than spend as much as you can afford if you are looking for a bargain than buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like most people I want a diamond for the price of a piece of coal. :D You never know how good of a square you may need so I want the very best for my money (doesn't everyone) So what I'm getting at is what would be the most "reliable" brand. I guess the "best chance" of getting something decent. PEC has come up more than once but I can't seem to find a set anywhere.

Finster

Registered
Registered
Amazon has some PEC tools, or you can order direct;
http://www.pectools.com
Thanks..... On me..... DAH! Guess I was having a brain fart or something...... :confused: I could have Googled PEC.... again....DAH! Sometimes I'm stupid! LOL.... It's hell to get old. Anyway, thanks for the help! That's what I'm looking for. I thought this would be some easy task but it's turned out to be a big deal. I figured if you can get a set of gage blocks that are as accurate as I'll ever need, how hard could it be to get a few lousy squares. CRIPES! I found a set of PEC's for $69 shipped but now I'm afraid to pull the trigger! You guys made me gun shy! :D

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Like most people I want a diamond for the price of a piece of coal. :D You never know how good of a square you may need so I want the very best for my money (doesn't everyone) So what I'm getting at is what would be the most "reliable" brand. I guess the "best chance" of getting something decent. PEC has come up more than once but I can't seem to find a set anywhere.
Find them here:
https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/ Click on closeouts: https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/closeouts.html
You must go through the closeouts manually to see them all, and you will not find the specials by searching PEC in the main index. I have a set of PEC machinist squares and a PEC double square that are TESTED square with my cylindrical square and with my granite square on a recently calibrated AA surface plate. Today, they are better made than Starrett and have MUCH better pricing, even at retail.

Edit: PEC's combination square parts sold as 'blems' are every bit as good as the full price ones and are unbelievably cheap. HJE and eBay both have them for sale. They are every bit as good as Starrett.

[6]
[5] [7]