Are these squares worth it?

The listed spec. is +/- .1º which works out to +/- .0018"/". For a 6" square, that is +/- .010". IMO, that's not very square.
It's interesting that in the photo, two of the squares are marked "DIN - 0", one marked "DIN - 00" and one unmarked. Anybody know what these designations mean? And I'd have to wonder about the unmarked one ... even though the seller claims they're (all) DIN standard???? Who knows ... maybe DIN includes a "clunky, junky" category in their standard, and that's what the unmarked one is rated as.

I agree that 0.1º is pretty poor.

I liked the fact that they were one piece of metal and not pinned. Seems like they should be better though, I agree.
The assembly process with the pinned square is what's important. After it's pinned it's ground to tolerances. The squares you posted are only good for checking (if they were accurate) inside squareness of an item. The parts usually referred to as the body and the blade are one thickness, or that's how I view them in the photos. If they're not hardened then the listed tolerances could get much worse, quickly. With that said; No precision measuring device maintains accuracy if it's dropped.

Well, I was just looking at some browne and sharps that are supposed to be accurate to .0006 but the reviews were horrible. one guy said a .005 feeler went under the 6". They are supposed to be USA made also. I don't want to spend $300 on squares (who does for a hobby) I would like to find a set that's decent for around $100. Heck, even the Starrett's I saw (zorro) were made in China, they have to be crap.

I am a bit more pragmatic in replying to this post ...... what are you going to build using these squares? You use these types of tools as a visual or tactile reference. If you are not building components for the space shuttle than they may be adequate. You get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality than spend as much as you can afford if you are looking for a bargain than buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a few "precision" tools from iGaging and I have been quite unimpressed with them. They are a set of 12, 24, and 36" precision straightedges that are poorly finished, have difficult to read markings, and are not straight -- all three of them!

I am a bit more pragmatic in replying to this post ...... what are you going to build using these squares? You use these types of tools as a visual or tactile reference. If you are not building components for the space shuttle than they may be adequate. You get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality than spend as much as you can afford if you are looking for a bargain than buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like most people I want a diamond for the price of a piece of coal. :D You never know how good of a square you may need so I want the very best for my money (doesn't everyone) So what I'm getting at is what would be the most "reliable" brand. I guess the "best chance" of getting something decent. PEC has come up more than once but I can't seem to find a set anywhere.

Amazon has some PEC tools, or you can order direct;
http://www.pectools.com
Thanks..... On me..... DAH! Guess I was having a brain fart or something...... :confused: I could have Googled PEC.... again....DAH! Sometimes I'm stupid! LOL.... It's hell to get old. Anyway, thanks for the help! That's what I'm looking for. I thought this would be some easy task but it's turned out to be a big deal. I figured if you can get a set of gage blocks that are as accurate as I'll ever need, how hard could it be to get a few lousy squares. CRIPES! I found a set of PEC's for $69 shipped but now I'm afraid to pull the trigger! You guys made me gun shy! :D

Like most people I want a diamond for the price of a piece of coal. :D You never know how good of a square you may need so I want the very best for my money (doesn't everyone) So what I'm getting at is what would be the most "reliable" brand. I guess the "best chance" of getting something decent. PEC has come up more than once but I can't seem to find a set anywhere.
Find them here:
https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/ Click on closeouts: https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/closeouts.html
You must go through the closeouts manually to see them all, and you will not find the specials by searching PEC in the main index. I have a set of PEC machinist squares and a PEC double square that are TESTED square with my cylindrical square and with my granite square on a recently calibrated AA surface plate. Today, they are better made than Starrett and have MUCH better pricing, even at retail.

Edit: PEC's combination square parts sold as 'blems' are every bit as good as the full price ones and are unbelievably cheap. HJE and eBay both have them for sale. They are every bit as good as Starrett.

Back