Are we scaring you?

Blogwitch

Registered
Registered
I have only been on the site for a short time, and don't want to upset any of the more senior members about my comments to come, but I am a person that talks straight and to the point, no BS, just words of truth.

It seems to me that some of the newer members are reluctant to join in the fun, and it just might be because some of the more experienced members are overwhelming them because of the machinery and tooling that we possess.

This bit now is directed towards those new people.

On other sites, I have apologised for having to show parts being made on larger and more expensive machinery, this is because most of us 'old guys' have been doing engineering etc for maybe years before you were born. In my case, I started fairly young and have got 50 years experience under my belt.
This is why we have such huge collection of machinery and tools. Like anyone else, as you come to the limitations of your machinery, you strive to get bigger and better, just to allow us to expand our repertoire. So we end up with shops containing masses of big machinery and tooling, and when a new person sees all that, they feel inferior because they only maybe have the basics to work with.

You ARE NOT inferior in any way, everyone has to start somewhere, and unless you have cash to burn, you start with the basics, like we all had to do.
My first 'lathe' was a hand bench grinder, you know the type, spin the handle, grinding wheel spins. I fitted a woodworking hand brace chuck next to the stone (the stone acted as a flywheel to store the energy), and used gravers to shape the bits I wanted to make, and it was no easy feat, turning the handle with my left hand and shaping metal with the right, but I managed to make some bits, not accurately, but good enough to get my first steam engine built and running. You start from humble beginnings and grow over the years.

So don't feel you have nothing to offer because we can make bigger and better things than you can, you are a member of an elite group, purely because model engineering and the other trades shown on here is not the 'norm' in the general population. You have taken the initial plunge into attempting to make your life more meaningful rather than becoming a couch potato or someone who pi**es his money up the wall every night. Grab that opportunity as best as you can, it can only make your life more fulfilled.

So don't be put off when you see big machines or complicated machinery, that is just us old farts doing our own thing. Ask questions, make comments, even if it is 'what a load of crap', at least you have joined in, and the more you join in, the better you will feel.
If you don't want to do it publicly, then PM or email the person who has shown something, I for one have never failed to answer anyone who has a genuine question or query, and I am sure the other experienced people are the same. We are here to help you, not to boast about our achievements.

So lets see a few more questions being asked, not only to help yourself, but others who may be too shy to ask the same question.

John

Nicely worded John, hope it gets more posts going.

As one of the newbys here, I have to say I've been enjoying reading your posts. Far from being scared off by your posts, I'm learning lots of new stuff and getting ideas for other things I want to try.

My comments also apply to all the other experienced (as well as the not so experienced) people that post here too. :)

Last edited:
Not scared, just a little in awe and currently in "shut up and listen mode".

I've only be making little bits that are non critical, like shortening screws or making aluminum pen bodies that slip over BIC guts.

I am going to attempt a little wobbler soon then I really want to do a Stuart 10v with reverser gear.

Unless someone has another option.

I'd like something I could throw in a boat or would look good on a shelf and I think the 10V does both.

I bought am old Weeden 14 (but it is the electric version) that I cleaned up and goto running and my sons are fascinated by it.

So a little intimidated, but nothing a few hours of spinning cranks won't fix....

NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE, needs to be scared or intimidated on THIS site!

We appreciate whatever you all make with your machines, and we are delighted to have you participate, AT ALL LEVELS!

Someone told me recently, that I make too much of being "newbie friendly" and I should drop it.
But I KNOW for a fact (having been there) that this is a big sticking point for people who are new to this.
They don't want to open their mouths and look stupid, so they say nothing.

We have experienced guys on here, we have intermediate guys, and we have rank beginners like myself.
If nothing else, the fact that a beginner like me owns the site should tell you that all input is welcome.

We thank John and other experts, and we are also thankful that we get input from less experienced too-
everyone likes and needs encouragement, and we do our best to offer that!

So, please, do not be afraid....

Nelson

I may be the odd duck out here. I do this for a living. Fortunately, I can do it part time and make a living. I do other work, not machine related, also. So, I am usually quite busy.

In my machine work, frankly, I don't have many questions. I don't have pet projects like model engines and things. I would like to find time to pursue other angles of machining, more for enjoyment. Like the 8 day clock Brian is showing. But I really doubt anyone here wants to see pictures of a 1 1/2" AMT tool joint, or some downhole oil tool prototype.. Besides, the nature of most all of my machine work is proprietary and is covered by NDA's and other legal encumbrances to the point where I can't take pictures and post them.

I don't think that John's posts are scaring people, but just seeing the work he is putting out may leave them wondering if they have that kind of talent. Well, there's only one way to find out. And, like he said, he didn't start off at that level. No one does, no matter what kind of shop they have. Money can buy that, whereas money can't buy talent. Not skill, but talent. Skill can be taught and learned, if the person is willing to put forth the necessary effort. I hope his posts are giving inspiration, not intimidation.

Well, I'm probably in the group of newbies that John's initial post was directed towards. Yeah, I don't mind admitting that I'm a little intimidated by the pics of some of your truly fine milled or turned pieces some of you show in a project. Mine look more like they were hacked out with an axe. :D I do tend to keep quiet and listen (or read in this case) when I'm new at something. I've found that I learn more that way. I will ask a lot of questions when I can, and will try to participate more, especially after this thread. :)

I truly do appreciate your attitude here, and think you have a very informative site. ;0

I would like to thank you all for letting me know that this post was the right thing to do.

And a special reply to nctox.

Newbie is a word I really hate, purely because on the higher engineering sites it is a means of degrading you. I prefer people with lesser knowledge, who require helping.

Hacked out with an axe or not, you tried, and I am sure you enjoyed doing it. The only reason ours look better is because we have learned the techniques over the years to get good finishes etc, one day, you to will be able to do the same, only then will you realise just how easy things are done. I still have problems just like yourself, and have to ask questions at times. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

No-one knows everything, no matter what people say

John

author=sic semper tyrannis link=topic=3540.msg25638#msg25638 date=1315915083
Not scared, just a little in awe and currently in "shut up and listen mode".

I've only be making little bits that are non critical, like shortening screws or making aluminum pen bodies that slip over BIC guts.

Hey how about sharing some pics of that clap1#$#$ that sounds like something some more of us would like to see ###### 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not scaring me, I am a newbe. (68 year old newbe) I found out long ago that it was easier to learn from someone than to learn from a book. Nothing against books and the answer may well be in a book but it's faster to ask here. ALL IMO; Don

Back