[4]

Are You A Mechanical Engineering Genius?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Comments

16 correct of 21 questions...

-Bear

14 out of 21, but I did have a brain fart on one of them making my best possible a 15. Don't know the drawing symbols...

17 out of 21, I crashed & burned on the drawing symbols :)

14 out of 21 and blew an easy one.

19 and blew the alloy composition of brass, which I use every day...duh-oh!

16 with one "why did I click that" moment..

18, but with two complaints...first, mechanical geniuses don’t care much about drawing conventions...these are suspect in my opinion. If you missed any of those, who cares? Second, a line does NOT form a parabola, their answer. It hangs in a catenary curve. So I take points off of whomever made up this quiz.

Sour grapes?

17/21,,,, Not bad I guess for a retired electronics guy. The symbols are what mostly got me.

17/21. Another victim of the drawing symbols.

18 out of 21. OK for an Electrical Engineer, but I need to brush up on my mechanical drawing symbols.

And i disagree with the answer to the shape of a uniformly loaded cable question - technically it's a catenary not a parabola.

20/21 I got the rope one wrong, I put ellipse instead of parabola.
Well you can't win them all. :D

18 of 21. OK for an Electrical Engineer; I guess I need to bone up on mechanical drawing symbology.

18 out of 21. Missed the GD&T questions. Five years away and the old brainbox isn't what it used to be.

? Second, a line does NOT form a parabola, their answer. It hangs in a catenary curve. So I take points off of whomever made up this quiz.

Sour grapes?[/QUOTE
Kind of a trick question. Yes, a cable hanging under its own weight forms a catenary but the question states "A cable with a uniformly distributed load per horizontal meter run will take the following shape:". Had catenary been an option, I might have missed that one too.

18 out of 21 and says im "Engineering Royalty" (Bahahahah) a few Admittedly were totally A lucky Guess! Lol

15 for me as an Electrical Engineer. GD&T isn't my strong suit, but should have done better on those.

David

RJ, thanks for correcting me. I never even considered what they meant by uniformly distributed horizontal load.
I never designed a suspension bridge, and never knew that a parabolic curve would occur. Seems like you would have to neglect the weight of the support wires to make this work mathematically. Luckily, I think I got it right, just because parabola was the closest choice.

So sad to not make into the Genius ranks.

:-(

16 out of 21. Not bad for an old high school grad I guess.

17 out of 21. Not too bad for a self-taught hobby machinist. Symbols got me.

I have precisely zero formal training. Just going from a lifetime of tinkering and a little common sense, I got 17 of 21.

I don't think I'll apply for my license just yet...;)

16 correct and one "why did I click that"- symbols got me too
There is much more to that field, I was expecting questions like "what is austinite" and some equations to solve

16 of 21. I guess I need to take a print reading course and learn some of those symbols.

[6]
[5] [7]