[4]

Are You A Mechanical Engineering Genius?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Comments

14 out of 21, but I did have a brain fart on one of them making my best possible a 15. Don't know the drawing symbols...

18, but with two complaints...first, mechanical geniuses don’t care much about drawing conventions...these are suspect in my opinion. If you missed any of those, who cares? Second, a line does NOT form a parabola, their answer. It hangs in a catenary curve. So I take points off of whomever made up this quiz.

Sour grapes?

18 out of 21. OK for an Electrical Engineer, but I need to brush up on my mechanical drawing symbols.

And i disagree with the answer to the shape of a uniformly loaded cable question - technically it's a catenary not a parabola.

? Second, a line does NOT form a parabola, their answer. It hangs in a catenary curve. So I take points off of whomever made up this quiz.

Sour grapes?[/QUOTE
Kind of a trick question. Yes, a cable hanging under its own weight forms a catenary but the question states "A cable with a uniformly distributed load per horizontal meter run will take the following shape:". Had catenary been an option, I might have missed that one too.

15 for me as an Electrical Engineer. GD&T isn't my strong suit, but should have done better on those.

David

RJ, thanks for correcting me. I never even considered what they meant by uniformly distributed horizontal load.
I never designed a suspension bridge, and never knew that a parabolic curve would occur. Seems like you would have to neglect the weight of the support wires to make this work mathematically. Luckily, I think I got it right, just because parabola was the closest choice.

So sad to not make into the Genius ranks.

:-(

I have precisely zero formal training. Just going from a lifetime of tinkering and a little common sense, I got 17 of 21.

I don't think I'll apply for my license just yet...;)

16 correct and one "why did I click that"- symbols got me too
There is much more to that field, I was expecting questions like "what is austinite" and some equations to solve

[6]
[5] [7]