Are You A Mechanical Engineering Genius?

18 out of 21. OK for an Electrical Engineer, but I need to brush up on my mechanical drawing symbols.

And i disagree with the answer to the shape of a uniformly loaded cable question - technically it's a catenary not a parabola.

? Second, a line does NOT form a parabola, their answer. It hangs in a catenary curve. So I take points off of whomever made up this quiz.

Sour grapes?[/QUOTE
Kind of a trick question. Yes, a cable hanging under its own weight forms a catenary but the question states "A cable with a uniformly distributed load per horizontal meter run will take the following shape:". Had catenary been an option, I might have missed that one too.

15 for me as an Electrical Engineer. GD&T isn't my strong suit, but should have done better on those.

David

RJ, thanks for correcting me. I never even considered what they meant by uniformly distributed horizontal load.
I never designed a suspension bridge, and never knew that a parabolic curve would occur. Seems like you would have to neglect the weight of the support wires to make this work mathematically. Luckily, I think I got it right, just because parabola was the closest choice.

So sad to not make into the Genius ranks.

:-(

Back