Are you a mill type machinist or a lathe type machinist.

Are you a mill machinist or a lathe machinist.

• Total voters

GerryR

Active User
Registered
I think that the mill, lathe, and surface grinder are all indispensable in a shop and like to use all three. Legs? - Well it depends who is wearing them! Just like a complete shop, a complete package is better.

I prefer a SIP jig borer. Over all of them. Lot more accurate.

I'll agitate for a shaper as a favorite; while I like and use both mills and lathes "depending on whether the intended part is flatish or roundish " I sometimes either need or simply want to use the shaper to get the job done. I'm fortunate to have that option, not only because I have such machines at my disposal, but because I'm not doing this machine work to make money and therefore don't have to worry about efficiency of my time. Sometimes it's all about setting up the job and drinking a cup of coffee while a portion of it runs, and the shaper does an admirable job of supporting my coffee drinking.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a lathe man until I got my first mill. Now I spend much more time on the mill, although I prefer the lathe.

Randy

I enjoy both but like the lathe a bit more. Part of it is eyesight and ergonomics; I can see what's going on with the lathe better, and can get in there with a magnifier when necessary (I make a lot of small stuff). The mill tends to be physically awkward for me. Also, lathes have fun things like change gears and all sorts of different custom ground tools. Unless you have a geared dividing head, the mill is less interesting, though gear making is fun. IMHO, you can generally do more accurate parts on a lathe.

I went with both but they are different animals. I think set-ups are quicker and easier to do on the lathe vs. the mill. But I think the mill can do more complex work (with the proper tooling). I started out with the lathe and was very happy for several years, but always felt "short changed" by not having a mill to do "flat" work.

Now I just feel short changed because I don't have a surface grinder..... ::) ;D

I'm a lathe man. Have liked them since high school. Ran one for most of 40 years. Mill is awkward and uncomfortable for me. Never ran a mill until I bought one (mill/drill). Now it seems like any shop project I do for someone else involves lathe work. Almost anything I do for myself is mostly mill work.

Bill

I've always thought that "lathe can reproduce itself" statement was a bit odd. If I were going to build a lathe and could only have one tool, it would be a mill. If I were going to build a mill, I'd want a mill. Sure, you can mill on a lathe, but you can also turn on a mill; I admit people rarely do, but it works.

I'm not a fast machinist, but I'm not a slow machinist, either. I'm just a half-fast machinist...

I don't "like" running either of them, but nobody makes what I want, so I have to. To me they are just a means to an end.(like legs)....but less trouble... :D Interesting point about threading on the mill, I do know you can cut a worm on a properly set up mill with a geared dividing head, and for internal threads there is allways the mythical thread milling. Has anyone here ever done this?

Back