Are you a mill type machinist or a lathe type machinist.

Are you a mill machinist or a lathe machinist.

• Total voters
I am just starting out. Do most of you buy a small machine and practice at home, learn on the job, or take classes?

I have always been the type of guy that can make it work by what ever means. Then I bought a lathe and a mill. I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination, but since buying the two machines my fixes sure look a lot more professional. Both machines have their place.

Since I have both a lathe and milling machine I select the tool that will do the job accurately and easily. That said, I like lathe work more than mill work and I've seen some guys do (almost) everything with just a lathe. But when a mill is called for, that's what I use.

Cheers,
Phil

I understand that a lot of people don't have or can't afford both machines so they use the lathe as a mill and it works for them. I just like to use the mill it's a lot easier to set and do the jobs on for in my home shop. It is said that you do what you have to with what you have.

Todd

From a cost stand point, mills and lathes are a lot less expensive than the "legs" option, but please don't tell my wife I said that! Pleaseeeeeeee don't.

I like and use mills and lathes, but I would never try to mill on a lathe or turn on a mill. I don't think I could ever cut a decent keyway or a dovetail on a lathe. That would be way beyond my talent!
As far as expense goes, when it comes to machines vs. legs - own machines, rent legs!

and don't tell my wife I said that!

jj

Back