Are you a mill type machinist or a lathe type machinist.

Are you a mill machinist or a lathe machinist.

• Total voters
OK, I'll give you the threading capability, but in that bizarre scenario I'd still take a mill. Why? Because I've no interest in making a lathe headstock or tailstock or ways using a lathe. I'd build my lathe, sans leadscrew. I'd then turn a leadscrew freehand (how did you think the first threads got made?) and install it on the lathe. My guess is by making a few generations, maybe with some lapping, I could get to an accurate leadscrew quite quickly. Another path would be to make the geared carriage drive/handwheel on the mill, then turn the initial leadscrew using geared drive. Yet a third path would be to make a friction drive using angled rollers on a shaft as the initial leadscrew- that's probably the best method; they sell them commercially and they're very good.

Good point, in making a leadscrew you could use scale to smooth out innaccuracies. Meaning, make a huge one (maybe out of wood)and pantograph it down to the smaller usable size. This scaling minimizes the size and faults. This method was used by the ancients when dividing watch gear teeth. They laid out their dividing plates by hand, but they were huge compared to the gear they were cutting,(18" plate dividing a 3/8 gear blank) leaving their faults in the noise.

Only have the lathe so I guess that qualifies me as a lathe only guy. Two drill presses, various grinders and too many projects so I guess I'd better get going! [size=12pt][/size]

I use them all and I like them all, I have a Vertical Mill, 2 Horizontals Mills, Hendey Shaper and 3 Lathes. A Surface Grinder and other tools, And I don't do it for a living. So maybe thats the reason I like it the way I do.

I also voted for the Legs but I've always been a a$$ man.

Paul

Yup I know its the top part it is also the best part. I prolly wouldn't have married the woman I did if I hadn't seen her leaning over a pool table. 8)

Paul

I hear that. When playing with women, the bridge takes all the fun out of that game

I use and enjoy them both but I've got to say I'll go out of my way to find something to turn on the lathe. Roger

Up until I got my Logan 920 off of Benny I had very little if any metal lathe experience so I spent a lot of time practicing on it and did some jobs on it that were really a milling machine job. After getting the Bridgeport I tried to do more on it. After getting several tools & accessories for both the love affair became stronger for each. I ran a mill for a while in the aircraft industry.

i like the lathe way more then the mill i hate to clean all the mess from milling

I like them both, but I favor the mill as I do a lot more than just making things round.

Back