Are you happy with your Grizzly 12x36 lathe?

I bought the G4003G new 6 years ago Delighted with the machine and would buy it again in a heartbeat. My old American iron would get me within .010" on a good day. With the Griz I hit .001" without hardly trying. Runs HSS for fine cuts and has the calzones to really push carbide. Turns 4 to 112 TPI without changing gears and comes with all the accessories. I bent a shaft in the apron (my fault) and I had the part in hand in under a week.

1. Are you happy specifically with the quality and accuracy? So far it meets my needs from an accuracy standpoint. The quality is not great from a fit/finish standpoint - rough castings, poor paint/finish. Stand is quite tall - wish it was 3-6" shorter to better accommodate leveling feet. But I've been getting used to the height.

2. Which model do you own, G4003 or G4003G or other? G4003G, 2014 build, mfr in China

3. How long have you had it and if you purchased it new? 2 months Bought it lightly used

4. If you were to do it again would you buy something else and if so why? Probably a PM 14x40, Taiwan made OR a good condition older European or American lathe. I hear the F&F of Taiwanese-made is a bit better.

I am new to machining and it compliments my [many] other hobbies. I don't run it every day. I use it to make or modify parts - bolts, bushings, motorcycle axle spacers, sliders, captive spacers, etc... Most work has been in SS and AL

I first had a 10x26 Griz and I'd say a 12x36 is the minimum size for the heft, rigidity, and HP than anything else. For the amount + purpose I use it for, spending $2k for a very lightly used 12x36 was a great option vs. a well-outfitted PM 14x40 at $8k-ish or the usually too-high prices for used American/European iron (roughly $4k-6k-ish in my area). This trade-off is going to vary depending on your budget, use, etc... But for me the 12x36 Griz was a good buy and I know I'll be happy with it for foreseeable future.

1. Are you happy specifically with the quality and accuracy?

For the most part yes, I was recently experimenting can take .1” cuts with carbide tooling and while the machine is loaded it doesn’t feel overloaded, gut estimate from a hobby guy it was around 70-80% loaded. I think .15 in 2.25” 1018 cold rolled rod at ~600-800 rpm is probably it’s limit for that cut as I was starting to get some chatter. At that load it isn’t cutting to the dial and I need to cut intentionally close but not dead on then measure and make a finish cut. A pet peeve is the x travel is not .1 or 1” per revolution, it’s .67 which is a pain in the d&#@ when making shoulders at say 1.15”.
2. Which model do you own, G4003 or G4003G or other?
4003G
3. How long have you had it and if you purchased it new?
Bought new around 2012ish
4. If you were to do it again would you buy something else and if so why?
Hard to say. At $4500 now it’s currently out of budget. If I had the money something with a VFD would be nice, a DRO would be helpful. think it was $3200 delivered then. But looking at the economics China has more to lose and is currently having a much more significant negative impact to their economy due to the tariffs, they will have to buckle before America will. They are losing manufacturing and we are having hobby people delay purchases. I’d save my money and be ready to buy post tariffs and any credit card spending you were planning would be for tooling instead of the lathe. The x travel screw really bugs me but I am happy with the lathe. I rotohammered and epoxied the bolts for the stands in my garage floor I can level it in any direction.

Some info for FE427TP... On my G4003G, my cross slide moves .1 per revolution. Checked the screw with a thread pitch gauge and it is 10 TPI. Maybe you have a different screw like maybe a 15 TPI. My lathe was built 08/2014. AS a casual hobby user it's done everything I've needed so far. Not sure I could afford a new one at $4500. Got mine new to the door for $3500.

Last edited:
Some info for FE427TP... On my G4003G, my cross slide moves .1 per revolution. Checked the screw with a thread pitch gauge and it is 10 TPI. Maybe you have a different screw like maybe a 15 TPI. My lathe was built 08/2014. AS a casual hobby user it's done everything I've needed so far. Not sure I could afford a new one at $4500. Got mine new to the door for $3500.
I must (probably am) be using the wrong term. My left/right is .67"/rotation. Front to back is .1" per rotation

Now we're on the same page, my carriage travel is the same as yours. Markings are 0 - 65, but still not that accurate. Looks like you would have to add an extra .35 to your number to get .10 travel. 0 - 100 adjustable marking would be alot more convenient. 20190721_074940.jpg

Last edited:
I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years now when I purchased it I also purchased the 5c collet adapter ( which I had to rework).
Everything has worked as it should on the lathe yes it is not a Hardinge but for hobby work it works just fine. Only trouble with the lathe was the pulley on motor has the set screw that holds it in place 180 degrees from the key (clamps opp of key) and came loose and made a rattling noise that I had to trace down to the pulley. Yes I would buy it again it has been a good piece of equipment for the price. And the collet close I had to disassemble and deburr the camm dogs and polish them once I did that it works as it should. I definitely would recommend it for the lathe!

I have the shopfox equivalent, at the time, it was a tad cheaper, and came with a coolant system, and I use a qater soluble coolant but not often.

1. Are you happy specifically with the quality and accuracy? Yes very happy.

2. Which model do you own, G4003 or G4003G or other? ShopFox M1112, grizzley G4003G equivalent.

3. How long have you had it and if you purchased it new? Purchased new 2015.

4. If you were to do it again would you buy something else and if so why? Don't think so. At the time, it seemed the most bang for the buck. For some things I do, I do need a bigger machine,

I did not go look again, but back in 2015, the two major differences between the G4003, and the G4003G, Was the hole through the spindle size, and the Chuck mounting (D1-5, vs the D1-4 for the G4003) That was enough to steer me to the G4003G or the M1112. I was thinking about the G4003 without the stands, but glad I went with the stands. The cam lock chuck mounting is greeAT.

I have no regrets with my g4003g.

Can I get some feedback from the current owners please?

1. Are you happy specifically with the quality and accuracy?: Yes. Better accuracy, more easily (for me) achieved than with my old Clausing 100mk3a. Love the large spindle bore.
2. Which model do you own, G4003 or G4003G or other? G0750G
3. How long have you had it and if you purchased it new? Bought used a few months (and many working hours) ago.
4. If you were to do it again would you buy something else and if so why? (Probably not. Might consider the PM1236 for the brake and clutch, but maybe not. I don't love having to change the gears more than a G4003G, but I feel it's worthwhile to have the sealed gearbox. I have converted to a VFD, and while expensive and time consuming, it was worth every penny. It's so nice for example, when parting, to be able to start slow at the outside of the diameter and progressively speed up to maintain surface speed. The 750g lent itself well to the VFD conversion. I'm not sure, but it seems like the D1-4 of the G4003G might be easier to source in a few cases than the D1-5 of the G750G

Thanks for the feedback on the above four questions.

Back