arm and hand removed by lathe

Tom, that reminded me that when I was in high school the cool thing to do was to cut the thread out of the bottom of your Levi blue jean pant legs & let them fray out over your cowboy boots. I got chosen to represent our ag mechanics glass in arc welding at the county contest. My turn came up to weld & about half way through my welding exercise I started feeling this strange heat sensation on my legs. I wanted to keep welding out out of fear that I would screw up my weld but the other side of me kept saying something's not right here. I stopped my weld & looked down & Both of my frayed out pants leg were on fire. Defiantly an embarrassing lesson learned.

I took some welding classes at a Community College across the street from the office I worked in at the time. One night after work I thought I'd go over and practice arc welding. Went over to my locker there, took off my suit coat and put on my fireproof coat and gloves. So I went in a booth pulled the curtain and started some welding. I worked on a weld and then went over to check it out in the main room. Well the nice suit was made of NYLON and my pants were ruined with what looked like 100 burn holes, patent leather shoes ruined. It was a stupid oversight and I could have caught myself on fire.

Speaking of fires, it happened to me to ignite some fine steel wool with the sparks of the angle grinder.
(«Uhm… who turned on those little X-mas lights below the table? ARGH!»)

There is exactly ONE place for long sleeves, wedding rings, watches, gloves, and anything else that can even POSSIBLY snag on rotating machinery parts. NOT ON YOU ! Yes...it really is that simple. The oil industry is on this new "long sleeves and gloves everywhere" safety kick. They want you wearing long sleeves and gloves no matter where you are on their sites.

If I'm working on running engines, or anything else that can grab hold of a sleeve or glove, my gloves are set off to the side and my sleeves are up to my elbows. I make the same offer to any safety person who informs me that I don't have long sleeves and gloves on. I will, without question, no arguments at all....I'll do it with a smile on my face....leave your job site if you insist that I must wear long sleeves and gloves around rotating machinery. There will be no discussion about it. You can preach to me all you want, but I will NOT comply with some ridiculous safety rule that was agreed upon by people who don't have a clue what I do for a living, if it puts me in danger. It's not up for debate...just say that I can't work on your site unless I comply with those rules, and I will gladly leave your site.

I learned everything I needed to know about long sleeves in high school. I was wearing a shirt with long sleeves. I was knurling something, and got distracted by someone. The next thing I knew, the sleeve was being sucked in between the work and the knurling tool. Thank the lord it was an old shirt that had been washed a hundred times. I tried to pull back, and the sleeve ripped off at the stitching at the shoulder. It then pulled the sleeve off my arm, and wrapped the whole thing around the work. Ever since that day, forget it. Long sleeves and rotating ANYTHING don't go together.

Last edited:
At high speed 24" of shirt goes fast around 1" shaft .

1/2 the time in my shop I'm in just underwear when it's hot n humid. I have the suntans to prove it. Who needs a tan booth when you have a tig:roflmao:

At high speed 24" of shirt goes fast around 1" shaft .

1/2 the time in my shop I'm in just underwear when it's hot n humid. I have the suntans to prove it. Who needs a tan booth when you have a tig:roflmao:

Maybe you can convince your wife to do all your TIG welding that way!

Back