Armstrong # 71 Tool Holder

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have had the above tool holder for years thinking it is a large cutoff bit holder. The shank that would go into a lantern tool post is 1/2" wide, 1-1/4" high and 4" long. If it is in fact a cut off tool, the blade would be 11/16" or 3/4" high. The holding taper at the bottom is 1/4" wide and the oval tapered retaining bolt head is 11/16" in diameter and the straight clamping part is 5/8" long. The tightening bolt is 3/8" X 16 tpi with overall length of 1-1/*8". To use it in my shop would require making a large lantern tool post or try using it on my 7" shaper. Also special shaped bits. I would like to hear from anyone interested in this tool.
Have a good day
Ray

Hi Ray. I'm not interested in the tool, but I have had good experiences using these large tools with the help of a modified European style tool base as shown on Rolingmetal's youtube videos.

The holding taper being 1/4" at the bottom suggests to me that it may be a side tool holder, used for turning operations; in fact, having consulted my 1958 Armstrong catalog, that is what it is, either a #71 R or L (right or left hand, an #81 would be the equivalent straight holder. I strongly doubt that the cutters for them are available any more.

Thanks Ericc and Benmychree. I will look that up in a few minutes. It is a right hand tool if the R cast next to the number means that. I also failed to mention the cutting tool holder portion is angled to the right as observed from the top. Thankyou for the information. 1958 was a good year, I got married on July 28 of that year, lost her on December 24,2012.
Have a good day
Ray

At one time, I had a couple of those side tool cutters but not the holder, I think they went on e bay; rare stuff.

Back